CHAPTER 54

TWO WEEKS LATER

Akeela furrowed her brows as she stared at the laptop in front of her, contemplating whether to fill the job vacancy she just stumbled upon which was based in England or not. She adjusted on the bed, thinking of what to do.

If her parents hadn't forced her to come back to Jamal's home, she would have been in England, and filling out the job application form wouldn't have been a problem.

The door to the bedroom opened and Jamal came in with a tray of food and a smile on his face. He had been doing all he could to please Akeela. He usually cooks breakfast for her, even when she refused to eat or when she tells him not to bother.

Akeela raised her head to meet his gaze and her stomach rumbled at the sight of scrambled eggs. Even if she doesn't want to eat, her stomach had already disagreed with her, not willing to decline the food gesture.

Jamal flashed her a smile but she frowned at him as she watched him walk closer before placing the food tray on the bed beside her leg. She eyes the food, and her stomach grumbled again and she threw Jamal a cold glare.

His smile vanished instantly and he walked to the sofa to sit.

"I have told you times without number to stop cooking for me. I will cook and eat when I am hungry", she forced herself to look away from the scrambled eggs and toasted bread in front of her. The delicious aroma was pulling her but she was stubbornly sitting still, refraining from eating it all within a few minutes because of how hungry she was.

"Just eat. I'm fine with cooking for you, it's not a big deal", Jamal shrugged. "Besides, I already promised to keep doing this until you forgive me."

She glared at him once again and hiss before dropping the laptop and dragging the food to her. She picked up a slice and began to munch on it in a hurry.

Jamal smiled but when Akeela looked his way, he concealed it. She kept eating wishing he would just let her be alone to eat the food in peace but she knew he wouldn't budge until she was done with the food. She wondered what kind of pleasure he derived from watching her eat his food.

It's been two weeks since the incident and it has been a tough one for Akeela. She was pained by the fact that she never knew she was carrying a baby. She was pained by several things but the first reason was more important than others. She felt herself getting attached to something she had lost and if not for her mother, it would have affected her mental health.

She was regarding her pillow as her child. She would cuddle it and cry to bed with it in her arms. Her mother was watching her and doing everything possible to make her forget everything that has happened.

Akeela was a strong woman and within a week, she was bad to her normal self. Her father took her out on Saturday before she was driven back to Jamal's house on Sunday. They went to a beach and had a nice time. She laughed like never before when the old man tried running with her.

He fell into the sand and purposely rolled on the floor just to amuse Akeela. She had a great time but when he started to talk to her about everything, the happiness vanished and was replaced with a sense of loss and misgivings. She cried.

Jamal wasn't ready to give up either. He was always parading her parent's home until Mr. Rabiu asked him not to come again so as not to push Akeela harder. She needed time to heal and take in everything. She needed time to adjust and learn to forgive him.

She also needed time to accept her fate and accept the loss that had befallen them. Jamal understood and stopped going there, instead he intensified his prayers and his wife was brought back to him three days after, like a new bride.