CHAPTER 44

Akeela couldn't sleep a wink till the daybreak. She was confused, she didn't know what was happening. She had been trying to remember the events that happened after the meeting with Fred but the memories were jumbled in her head.

She only remembered she shared a few drinks with Fred, he even cracked a joke about her wedding night, making her smile shyly.

Did he spike my drink? She asked herself. Did Fred take advantage of me? How come I can't remember anything?

She kept tossing in bed, after crying her eyes out, for the fear of being a rape victim. If Fred had taken advantage of her when she was unconscious of what was happening, then it means she had been raped.

She cried more when she remembered he mentioned something about a sex video. She didn't want to see whatever the video entailed, she was ashamed of herself and ashamed to look Jamal in the face.

She became aware of the reasons for Jamal's reaction. He was disappointed in her and she understood him. He wasn't overreacting, he was acting normal, just like every normal man would react when his bride isn't what he thinks she is.

When it was morning, she got up from the bed, ignoring her tired and weak limbs. She needed to go to work.

Her boss only gave her the grace of two days for the wedding; Thursday and Friday. Even if he had given her a whole week, Akeela knew she would go to work that day. It was better than brooding and sulking alone at home.

She took her bath and was dressing up when her phone beeped. It was a message from Haneefah and it reads. "Jamal's favorite food is yam and egg sauce."

Akeela smiled. She loved yam too.
She hoisted her head up to check the time. It was just 6 am. There was enough time to cook before going to work.

She remembered her mother's advice. "Don't deprive your husband of food or his marital rights, even when you are not on good terms."

She dropped her phone with a deep sigh and walked out of the bedroom. When she got to the living room, she was shocked to see Jamal sleeping on the sofa. She stared at his sleeping face and almost began to cry again.

She sniffed and looked away. She made a vow that she was going to find out what really happened and prove her innocence, only if Jamal would be patient enough with her.

She strolled to the kitchen and got to work, after wearing the apron that has embroidered brown designs at the lower part. It was a gift given to her after she graduated from Gannie's catering school.

Moments later, she was done cooking. She had used the gas and electric cooker simultaneously to cook the meal so as not to be late for work. By the time she was done, it was already past 7 am. She got up and dished the food out for Jamal before going to set the dining table. She noticed Jamal was no longer in the living room.

Jamal came in as soon as she was done setting the table for him. She snapped her head to look in his direction when she heard his footstep but he looked away. It was obvious he was avoiding her gaze.

"Good morning", she greeted softly, with a polite manner.

"Good morning", he grumbled.

Akeela stood upright and watched him as he slouched to the sofa again, before walking back to the bedroom to make herself up and go to work.

She applied a little powder and lipgloss before removing the apron tied above her neck. She dumped it in the bin beside her and grabbed her bag before heading out. She hoped he would eat the food since it was his favorite.

****
Akeela got to work a few minutes to 8 am. Sarah wasn't in her post yet and Akeela was glad as she passed by her desk. The thought of working in the same place as her rival; the woman who wanted nothing but her downfall, was disheartening.