CHAPTER 39

Jamal's mother had called to inform him that his wife was on the way already, they were bringing her to him and she asked not to come out till all the traditional rite of feet washing are done.

She said Jamal was supposed to go to his neighbor or friend's house if only he had one around or he was used to his neighbors while Akeela was being welcome to her matrimonial home. She told him that was how it was done in the past.

When he heard the car drive in, his heart jumped in excitement and the reality dawned on him that he is now a married man and everyone will view him as a responsible man, including his parents.

The notion of being irresponsible will be thrown into the bin. He was glad about that. He was also glad that he did not make the wrong decision of a wife. He was marrying a good woman who kept herself all through her stay in England.

He appreciated her more for that and he wanted to be honest with himself, he knew his love for her increased when he got to know her dignity was still intact.

He had always envisioned marrying a virgin until Sarah came along. He wanted something new and not a woman that has been used by another man. When Sarah arrived, that vision left. Even though when he was young, he had always wanted to be a virgin and marry a virgin.

His mother's instructions rang in his ears and he went into hiding in his room. He was unable to sit still because he was eager and anxious about tonight. He wasn't this apprehensive when he had his first sex with Sarah, she took his virginity.

He wondered why he was that nervous and then he figured out it must be because Akeela is different and a woman of dignity.

He was pacing up and down the bedroom. The bed was already laid and the room was smelling nice due to the fragrance coming from the big bottle of spray. The light is dim, with different beautiful colors and making the room colorful as well as homey. He knew Akeela would love it.

When Haneefah entered to get some water for Akeela, Jamal had her calling to him and he went out to meet her. They talked in whispers for a while before Jamal went back to his room. Haneefah got the water and left. A few minutes later, she was back for another water but Jamal stayed put inside, without attempting to go out.

He wanted all of them to be gone before going out to welcome his wife. This was because his mother said it was part of the culture and also because he was shy. His impatience was wearing off with each passing second. His heart was beating twice its normal rate out of joy.

After a while, he slump to the bed and exhale deeply, trying to calm himself when his phone beeped, signifying a message. He took a hold of the phone and saw that the message was from Sarah.

He almost ignored the message when another one entered. He didn't want anything to ruin his happiness that night but his curiosity got better of him as he opened the message.

"This ought to be my congratulatory message to you but I guess it is accompanied with bad news. Check out who your wife is on Whatsapp." It reads.

Jamal frowned his face, the excitement had vanished into thin air. It was replaced by fear and deep curiosity.

He logged in to Whatsapp immediately and saw another message from Sarah.

"I know your culture values women, with dignity and whose virginity is intact. I can't believe this is happening in the 21st century and I know this is why you dumped me for that girl. At first, I thought she was better than me but now I am relieved to know that she is worse. The good one here is me, I didn't hide my real identity but she did. Akeela is not who you think she is, she is far worse than a snake that has the same color as grass and conceals its body parts in the grass to hide its real identity and color. I am far better than Akeela. Welcome to reality." It reads.