CHAPTER 36

Jamal's joy knew no bounds. The smile on his face as he tucked his tie was enough evidence that he can't wait to become the groom of a woman he considered as the most beautiful and calm woman on earth.

No one would have known their fate of marriage was an arranged one. Initially, it was hard on both couples but on this day, they were glad their parents did what they did.

They were only hoping for one thing. They want no regrets.

Jamal's friends were waiting in the living room. They were about to leave for the wedding venue when he thought of calling his wife. He wanted to hear her voice for one last time before the knot will be tied. He had left his friends in the living room and had gone into his bedroom to make the call.

Abduljalal was among the groom's pal. They were all dressed in a blue agbada with shiny black shoes and a blue cap to match.

Jamal was wearing an Armani black suit. That was what Akeela wanted him to wear. His tie was brown and his shoe was a suede black shoe.

They had another outfit to wear after the nikkah (official Islamic way of joining man and wife) had been done. They were going to change into another dress that had similarities with the groom's pal and bridesmaid outfit- blue color.

Jamal smiled once more before strolling out of his bedroom, with a new gait of confidence. He walked into the living room and was about to tell them he was ready when his eyes fell on someone with a bandage on his face.

It was Oye and he was sitting beside Abduljalal, the new best man.

Jamal had chosen Abduljalal instead of Oye because he was still mad at his friend. He didn't even bother to go check up on him but deep down, he wanted to be sure that he was fine.

Abduljalal on the other hand was acting strange and Jamal noticed it. He wondered for a while why he was behaving that way, like someone whose bride had ditched him on their wedding day. After a while, Jamal concluded that it was because he didn't inform Abduljalal about his marriage on time and about the fact that he was no more with Sarah.

"What the hell are you doing here?" Jamal yelled at Oye.

The room fell silent. All the men watched Jamal and let their gazes shift to Oye whose head was bent low in shame. He wanted to come and apologize but Jamal's shout was making him lose his self-esteem and making me ashamed.

Is loving someone who loves you back in return but whose family will never agree with you a crime? He asked himself.

Samuel wanted to say something but Idris, another friend of Jamal held him back, shaking his head, signaling to him to let Jamal and Oye sort their differences out. Idris knew about the relationship but couldn't tell Jamal because Oye confided in him.

Oye couldn't believe someone else had taken his position. He had been trying to call Haneefah all to no avail and he hoped she was fine. He was willing to go to the wedding, just to see if she was fine and ok, despite the bandage on his bruised face.

Jamal was pacing up and down in anger.

"Who allowed you in the first place?" He turned back abruptly and pointed his index finger at Oye.

Oye raised his head. "I came in on my own accord."

Samuel wanted to laugh. Oye doesn't cease to amaze him. He always acts funny even in difficult situations. The question Jamal was asking was different from the answer he was giving.

Oye knew he had to be strong and courageous. He would no longer let Jamal intimidate him just because he loved his sister. When they were young, Jamal was the weaker one and Oye used to bully him playfully.