CHAPTER 49

Akeela wasn't too sure whether the whole thing was gone in Jamal's heart, because his cold behavior was gone but the air between them hadn't been cleared yet.

They didn't talk about what happened as he drove her home, asked her to take a bath, and even prepared lunch for her before driving off to work. He was sweet for the first few days but after a week, he was back to being withdrawn but not cold.

Akeela didn't know how to feel about the whole thing but she regretted the fact that she did not bring the matter up when it was still brewing hot on the plate.

Maybe that was the mistake I made, she thought to herself.

She knew bringing it up at that moment and trying to clear the air between them wasn't the best idea. She felt that would bring back the coldness and they would end up living as complete strangers and not couples.

Everything was getting on her nerves, including the fact that she hasn't been successful in her online job hunting. She was tired of being home alone and bored. She was desperate to find herself a means of escape from the quietness of her home which wasn't comforting.

She was blaming herself initially and finding a lot of good reasons to explain Jamal's behavior but when it dawned on her that Jamal hadn't gotten over it, she became sad and mad at him. She wondered why he was making a big deal out of the whole issue.

She realized Jamal was being a man but still yet she was pissed at him for his extremism in the whole matter. She acknowledged the fact that Jamal wanted everything about him to be perfect, so any imperfections from his partner would definitely create a gap that can not be filled, except by the grace of God.

Akeela was annoyed, even though she didn't tell their parents about it but she concluded within her, not to be bothered by his behavior. She was tired of being the only one trying to fix it when the other partner was been nonchalant about it.

She couldn't use the aphrodisiac and the sexy dresses she bought because she didn't want to look cheap and he hadn't gone past pecking her on the cheeks whenever he was going to work.

Akeela thought of going to apologize to Haneefah several times. She knew her parents must have told her she was the one behind the revelation and she was ashamed and guilty to go see Haneefah. She didn't want to see the look of hurt and betrayal that will flash across her face, she dreaded it.

She was in the living room, munching on her favorite snacks with her laptop on her lap, submitting her CV to one online company she came across the day before. She didn't want to ask her mother or dad for help again since her marital status had changed. She wanted to look for one herself and tell them Jamal was the one who helped her to get the job.

Her phone rang, breaking the long hours of silence in the house. She ignored the call and finished up with the work before dropping off the laptop and going close to the center table to pick up the phone. She hadn't been doing anything for the past weeks that she had been staying home, but she was gradually becoming lazy.

She spent most of the hours, either watching a movie on Netflix, playing a game on her laptop when bored, sleeping, eating, or cooking dinner. Everything was just so tiring and bored. She had long forgotten what it feels like to be bored and she was no longer comfortable with being alone.

It was a strange number and Akeela furrowed her brows, contemplating on whether to pick the call or not.

Because of the recent happenings in her life, she had become extra careful with whatever she was doing, and the calls she was picking. She had blocked Fred's number and she was sure he wasn't the one calling. She thought it might be Haneefah.