CHAPTER 21

Akeela's first day was indeed bad. She avoided Sarah till the close of the day. When she got home around 6 pm, she slept off immediately she laid down on the bed.

She was still trying to comprehend the fact that Sarah was Jamal's ex-girlfriend. Akeela was bothered about that fact because she didn't know what Sarah's reaction would be when she gets to know the real reason why Jamal dumped her. She also did not know whether to tell Sarah before she finds out or to just keep mute.

But one thing was certain. She was already becoming free with Sarah because of her cheerful and jovial nature but the news will not make her open up to Sarah anymore. She will no longer be comfortable around her.

Everything was happening fast.

Akeela had just spent four days in Nigeria but the days were bringing forth life-changing revelations that were hard for her to comprehend and assimilate on time.

"Humans," they say "adapt to changes easily".

She was human and was willing to adapt to the changes with the hope of being blessed with the best life has to offer. Happiness was what she wanted.

The alarm Akeela set in the morning at work that was meant to wake her up by 8:50 am so she won't be late for the meeting with the boss didn't ring until 8:50 pm in the night when she was still sleeping.

That was when she got to know the reason why the alarm didn't wake her up. The alarm was set at pm not am.

Akeela groaned and got out of bed. She went downstairs to get some food in the kitchen. After eating alone in the quiet living room, she prayed and went back to bed.

When Akeela woke up the next day around 4 am, she saw the numerous missed calls from Fred, Fiona, and Jamal. She didn't return any of their calls before going to take her bath and dress up for work.

She left for work early, wanting to make up for the day before.

She was dressed like an Indian with a half-gown stopping above her knee and a big trouser beneath. She wore strappy heels with a veil that has the same material as her dress.

It was the dress Fred got for her, alongside a wristwatch on her last birthday. She wore it purposely to commemorate the end of her relationship with Fred. Her mind was made up, she was done with him.

Work the next day wasn't as bad as the previous day. Akeela was busy all through.

She was able to finish the two files Sarah dropped on her table the day before and she moved to the files she met on the desk before Sarah brought in another.

She was asked to go through the files of every department that encompasses the company, ranging from sales, promotion, quality assurance as well as finance and marketing.

She was to point out the weakness of each department and suggest changes. The work wasn't easy because it was requiring much reasoning. She couldn't do much the day before, because of her bad mood.

She skipped lunch because she decided against going to the cafeteria to get something to eat. She was avoiding Sarah. She didn't know how to face her. She was feeling guilty without committing any crime.

After closing from work, Akeela drove home, hungry and exhausted. She met her dad in the living room, going through some files in front of him, placed on a low stool. He was home alone. Akeela greeted him and went upstairs to change.

After changing into a short and a big shirt, she went downstairs to meet her dad. Her stomach grumbled and she rushed to the kitchen to see if there was anything to eat.