CHAPTER 40

The sun shone on Akeela's face and she fluttered her eyes open with a light smile on her face. The night before was amazing for her and her first time was more than expected, even though it wasn't with the person she had always dreamt it will be with.

She yawned loudly and stretched before sitting upright, that was when she realized Jamal was in the room and he was the one who open the blinds by the window, allowing the sun to seep in.

She felt embarrassed and flushed.

Jamal was facing the window with his back to her and his hands behind him. He seems to be lost in thought and Akeela wondered what he was thinking about.

She debated within her on what she was supposed to do that morning, after the intense moments they shared the night before. She felt there was no need to be uncomfortable with him anymore, he saw everything about her already.

She almost chuckled as she stood up and went to hug him from behind. "Good morning, love."

"Morning", he answered after a moment of silence. Akeela noticed his body was stiff, she moved to face him squarely.

Their eyes interlocked for seconds before she looked away from his piercing gaze. She was still uncomfortable.

He wasn't looking happy and she wondered why.

Was I not responsive for his touch last night? Am I below his expectation of a girl? Is he disappointed in my lack of sexual experience?

She waved the thoughts away and leaned forward to peck his lips while on her toes. She moved back with a grin but Jamal's countenance didn't waiver.

"Your breath", he muttered and walked away to the closet. Akeela gasped and covered her mouth, as he threw the closet open. She had forgotten about her usual morning breath. She wished the ground will open up and take her, to safe her from the embarrassment.

Without thinking any further, she raced to the bathroom and closed the door. She shut her eyes tightly, scolding herself mentally for being stupid.

I shouldn't have kissed him.

What will he think of me now? She asked herself.

She inhaled and exhaled deeply before going to face the mirror to brush her teeth gently.

When she was done, she smiled and walked out with confidence. She saw Jamal wearing a long sleeves white shirt and she wondered where he was going. They were supposed to spend the whole day together.

"Where are you going?" She demanded, walking slowly towards him with her hands clasped in front of her in nervousness.

"Out", he only said.

"Aren't we supposed to....." She trailed off, without knowing what to say.

Why is he behaving this way? Why is he speaking in monosyllable?

"It's urgent", he turned back and strolled past her, without sparing her a glance.

It was Sunday and Akeela saw no reason why he should be out.

We aren't even communicating about our new beginning, why is everything looking fake now after the whole 'I can't wait for you to be my wife'?What is happening?

"Take care", he uttered before going out of the door. Akeela stood frozen on the same spot, wishing it was all a dream.

Her husband just left her standing without a hug or a kiss before his departure.

Is this how marriage is like? She asked inwardly but no answer was forthcoming.

****
Barrister Rabiu got a car as a wedding present for his daughter and he got it delivered to her husband's house before the knot was tied. Akeela took a bath, got dressed, and moved out of the house to visit Haneefah.