Prologue

Prologue

Hello, my name is Kashine Douglas. My name means "sacred dancer" in Native American, which I suppose is appropriate considering what I do in my free time.

I am 16 years old and I go to high school. Unfortunately, I am bullied everyday by the popular girls. But I don't like to talk about that. Oh, the irony in that one sentence.

I don't have any friends. There's this nice girl named Nikki who helps me everyday in school, but sometimes I think my parents and the school set her up to it. Maybe they even pay her.

You see, I'm what people call... mute. I never speak. I don't know why. I just don't. Whenever I open my mouth and try to talk, I get scared and the fear closes up my throat, making it hard to talk, much less breathe. So I don't talk. Instead, I write everything I do and want to say in my journal. Diary sounds too girly, and I never write anything cheesy like "Dear Diary" or something like that.

In my free time, I make music videos and post them on YouTube. I draw the singers of the songs and make them dance. My account has few of the most viewed videos in the country. I'm very proud. It's fun to do, so I call myself the dance-video choreographer. That's what I want to major in when I go to college.

My parents gave me up for adoption when I was born, so now I live with John and Martha, Mr. and Mrs. Douglas. My adoptive parents are always there to protect me, and I'm grateful for that. But I think they're also disappointed in me, as I have never spoken a word to them.

Now, this is what I look like: I have pale skin just a shade darker than snow, and my hair is so blond it's almost white. I have biggish dark green eyes that I wish could be a bit smaller. I look like an alien with freckles and hair. Kids make fun of me in school by calling me "Snow White". They know I hate that movie.

Well, enough about my sob-story of a life. Let's learn about my likes and dislikes:

I love the band One Direction. They're the ones that got me motivated to make the music videos. It is my life's dream to meet them and, if I'm lucky, maybe even get to kiss one of them on the cheek. Lips are too extreme for me.

I also love to listen to Def Leppard, Muse, Bon Jovi, and country artists like Carrie Underwood, Miranda Lambert, Kenny Chesney, etc, etc. I don't like listening to rap or techno music. It just doesn't sound pleasant to me.

My favorite color is purple and my favorite food is super dark chocolate ice cream.

What I look for in a boy: Well, I'm not entirely convinced I want to be in a relationship. After all, a boy would want to know who I am, and I could never actually tell him. The last thing I want is to die alone though, so I'm thinking of living in a nursing home where I'm surrounded by a bunch of oldies bound to die the same day I am.

Well, that's who I am. And this is what never should have happened.