Phil foden - you forgot ?

Tomorrow was her birthday , her twentieth at that . It's safe to say that twenty is a peculiar age to be ; your childhood and teen age years are well and truly behind you , but you also feel slightly too young to settle down and be a fully fledged adult .

But although she may be slightly uncertain of what might be to come , there was no denying that tomorrow was a day she'd been looking forward too .
She loved to party ... and what better occasion than a birthday.

" what's got you so smiley ?" Her boyfriend of two years , Phil asked her .

"Oh I'm just excited for tomorrow." She grinned at the boy as they climbed into bed and settled under the covers together.

"Any particular reason or ... ?" He asked acting clueless.
He had to just be acting right ?

" ha ha , very funny you." She said , rolling her eyes and bringing an end to the conversation when she cuddled up to the boy.

Of course his behaviour worried her slightly, but something told her that she'd wake up to a shower of love and affection. Phil can't have forgotten , he just wouldn't have .

_______________________________

As the morning rolled around she reached out to the spot where Phil usually lies , only to find it empty . She traced her hand over the sheets again and realised it was cold , meaning he'd been gone for a while now .

Maybe he was making them breakfast?

Yet when she went downstairs all that could be found was a scruffily scribbled note .

' gone to training , be back later . Love u xx'

Oh .

Surely he was just pulling her leg right ? He wouldn't have gone to training without even saying goodbye .

... But he had . Because she waited , for hours maybe . she just sat there hoping he'd walk through the door with cake and balloons whilst yelling ' surprise' .

But truthfully , she was surprised ; surprised that her boyfriend could actually forget her birthday when so many of his own friends had remembered.
She'd received messages and posts of well wishes from almost everyone they knew , to the point where Phil must be totally oblivious to miss what special occasion today was .

Her phone rang , and although she knew it wouldn't be Phil , her heart leapt at the idea that he'd be calling to tell her he was on his way home to celebrate with her .

But alas , it was Marcus .

" hey Marcus , what's up ?" She began to ask but instead of an answer she was met with what sounded like him and Jesse attempting to sing her happy birthday.

" happy birthday to youuu." Their awful singing lasted for a solid minute before they eventually calmed down enough to hold a normal conversation with her .

" thanks guys ... at least someone remembered."

" what ? Did Phil forget." Marcus asked concerned.

" unfortunately yeah." She said sadly .

" that's shit , I'm sorry."

" it's alright , it's not a big birthday or anything."

" it's not alright at all ... right get ready." He said after a moment of thinking .

" huh , ready for what ?"

" well me and Jess will take you out , you deserve to have fun on your birthday."

" no you really don't have to -" She argued , but had a feeling he wouldn't take no for an answer.