you lose a loved one (requested)

Chaeryeong whined as soon as she heard the sound of your phone ringing.

She wanted to tighten her arms around you as you moved to  grab your phone because, for the first time in a couple of long and exhausting weeks, she's finally warm and comfortable because she's got you to hold onto.

"Babe, it's my mom," you giggled and she playfully pouted before letting you go so you could answer the call.

She grabbed the remote and paused the film.

Being away from home, she figured your mom was just calling because she misses you.

But that, sadly, wasn't the reason for her call.

"Mom! Hi, how are you?" You asked with a smile on your face as you answered the phone but Chaeryeong watched as that smile quickly faded.

She wasn't sure what was going on but when she saw the tears filling your eyes, she knew that something was seriously wrong.

On the phone, your mom explained that your dad had gotten into an accident on his way home, and he hadn't made it.

It was so unexpected and so sudden that it didn't feel real. But with your mom sobbing on the phone, you knew it sadly was real and at any moment, it would begin to sink in.

"I have to go, honey. But I'll talk to you later. Call me if you need to talk. I hope to see you in a few days at the..." She paused to take a deep breath before continuing. "Funeral."

"Okay. I'll be there. I love you. I'll see you soon."

You locked your phone and didn't say a word to Chaeryeong as she brushed her fingers across your arm, gazing at you in concern.

"Y/N? Baby, what is it?" She asked and you quickly turned your head to stare at her through the blur of your tears.

"My dad got into an accident... he didn't make it."

The news was just as shocking for Chaeryeong.

You've been together for a while now and from the day you introduced her to your parents, they welcomed her and quickly made  her feel as though she was part of the family. She felt happy when she was around them and although she's become very close to your mom, she was especially close with your dad.

He was pretty protective of you but from day one, he knew there was something special about Chaeryeong, and the happiness she brought you made him so happy to see.

"I'm so sorry, baby." She whispered as she continued to rub your arms.

"I can't believe it. Chaeryeong, I just texted  him this morning. I told him I loved him and that I hoped he had a good day today. I never imagined it would be the last time I ever got to speak to him."

"I know, my love. Things like this happen. You just don't know sometimes."

You nodded and let her pull you into her arms. You placed your head back on her shoulder as she hugged you tightly, her cheek resting on your back as you sobbed in her embrace.

"Oh, baby. I know it must hurt a lot. Let it all out, I'm right here." She soothed and kissed your shoulders as you cried, feeling safe enough to let out all of your tears and emotions with her arms around you.

It was awful; the heartbreak you felt. The ache in your heart was physical, you could practically feel it shattering as you closed your eyes and flashed back to the memories you have with your dad.

They only made you cry harder as you realized that you'll never be able to make more with him.

You'll never be able to hear his laugh or hug him or tell him that you love him again.

"This isn't fair." You cried.

"I know." She whispered as she rubbed your back. "It's awful."

She blinked away her tears, trying to focus on giving all of her attention and comfort to you right now.

"I know how much you loved him and I know how much he meant to you. He was always so great to me, too. He was so kind to me."

"He adored you." You sniffled. "He only ever wanted me to be happy. I thought he'd be around for all of the big, special moments in my life. Such as when we get married someday. He won't be there."

"Shh." She comforted as you began to sob again.

Turning around in her arms, you buried your face in her shirt and cried, soaking the fabric with your tears. She couldn't help but shed a few tears as well, both from seeing you so hurt and the sadness she felt about your dad passing.

"Don't let me go." You cried.

"I'm not ever letting you go, my love." She sniffled as she laid her cheek on your head, a tear slipping down her cheek and into your hair. "I won't let you go. Hold me, let it all out, I promise I'll be by your side the entire time."

You could barely breathe, so crushed and so afraid as it fell as though everything was falling apart.

You didn't know how you'd ever get through this. It was easily the worst thing that's ever happened to you. The pain was intense and you couldn't get the tears to stop falling down your face.

But you know you've got Chaeryeong to lean on for everything ahead.

Although it won't be easy, you'll make it through because she's right there with you every step of the way.