chapter one

There was a simple beauty to life now, one I'd never imagine I would appreciate

My days were filled with short moments of idyllic peace that I'd doubted could exist. Upon leaving the province for the city, to get away from the bad memories, I couldn't shake the worries that it wouldn't be all it cracked up to be, that I would wreck it somehow.

Whilst occasionally I had those those thoughts, they were no longer on the forefront of my mind.

Not all the time anyway.

For now all I wanted was to focus on getting breakfast before I get to work. It was exceptionally chilly, downright freezing when I left the room I rented on this one dormitory.

I'm not sure what caused the sudden drop in the temperature since it was considerably much bearable a few hours ago. I could go for a hot soup or ramen to remove the cold away.

Shaking my body slightly from the breeze, I pulled out my phone and looked at the time.

7:33 AM

Hm.. At 11, I should be at the sushi restaurant I'm working at and I wonder if it would be busy today. Slipping my phone back to my pocket, I continued on my walk. As I turned around the corner, I found the heaven of my every morning.

The wet market, full of meats, fishes and my favorite, shrimps. Thank god, a little longer out here and I might die out of frost bite. Quickening my pace, I walked briskly to an eatery first for my breakfast.

"Meow.. Meow"

I perked up upon hearing the sound. What was that?

"Meow.. Meow.. Meow"

I heard it once again, this time it sounds more distressed and more than one cat, so there must be a lot of them. Where are they?

"Meow!"

And now it sounds angry! This time it was louder, followed by more mewls, as if the cats knew I had taken notice of them.

"Kitties? Where are all of you? Please come out wherever you all are", I called out and I was answered by a lot of meows, I went to the side alley where I could hear it from.

Moments later, I found a beaten up box near the garbages and I opened it to see at least seven kittens in varying sizes, seven different pair of colored eyes stared up at me. I closed the box, uncomfortable by the stares.

But I was startled by the amount of kicks and frustrated meows coming out from inside, making me pick it up. Only then did some sense of calm occured among the furballs.

Who left them here by the way?

Opening the box again, the gray kitten stood up while the Egyptian mau breed is jumping on it's back, like damn monkey instead of a cat. They stared up at me, reflected so clearly in their eyes.