Chapter X: Day Two Pt 4

The Marauders stared between the four of them- well not four

The Marauders stared between the four of them- well not four. Peter didn't seem to be as worried about Brena's well being as Remus, Sirius and James had been. They were still in Defense Against the Dark Arts. Joystone making them all continue their dueling practice as if it was the most important thing. James was distracting them with his babble of worry.

He was confused. He had been in love with Lily Evans, the redheaded Gryffindor Muggleborn who had been his light since first year, since well- forever. But the conversation he had with Brena outside, it made him think about it. Was he really in Love with the girl? Or was it just the idea of love that he was in love with? Lily Evan was a Beautiful and clever girl. But he knew nothing about her. And she had been nothing but rude to him since they met.

Of course, James had been annoying her with constantly asking her out, but something had changed. Before class had stated, James had just wanted to scare Brena into not being around the snakes. He was worried for the small Hufflepuff. But when he had her against the wall- when he smelled the sweet scent of what could only be her perfume- was it the smell of nature? Grass and the scent of rain coming... Flowers growing. She smelled amazing- did it cloud his senses?

Is that what had caused James to react the way he did? Her perfume acted like a poison. He lost all sense of reality. He had wanted to kiss her. He wanted to feel what it would be like- but why?  

"Do you think Lily will ever like me for...me?" James questioned looking over to Remus who stood next to him. Sirius was listening as well as Peter. Pausing their spell throwing.

"Honest answer?" Remus asked causing James to nod. Remus sighed. "No. Lily wants someone more mature?" James furrowed his eyebrows.

"I can be mature." Sirius snorted at him, walking over with Peter.

"Sure, but not all the time." Sirius told him honestly. James sighed. His friend was right.

"What brought this up? You never cared before about changing who you were for Lily." Peter questioned. Clearly not understanding why his friend was even asking this. Remus and Sirius were curious as well.

"I just- Brena asked me what I knew about her.." James muttered as he ran his hand over his face.

"And you found out how much you know her?" Sirius joked. He was kind of happy that Brena had talked to his brother about this. Sometimes guys just need the opinion of a girl instead of his mates.

"I know- nothing." James admitted as they packed up their things.

"You know some things- don't give yourself no credit." Remus tried to make his friend cheery, but James shook his head.

"I really don't. Lily- I don't know her favorite color or book, hell I don't even know what she wants to do once she graduates." James huffed as the group moved to head to their next class.