Chapter LXII: Brave like a Gryffindor

"That was-" James started only for Sirius to interrupt

"Awful." Brena nodded as she walked to James, holding her hand out.

"Hand it over." James raised his eyebrow at her before sighing, pulling the locket out of his pocket and placing it into her outstretched hand.

"How are you going to destroy it?" James asked as he watched the girl take it to her dresser, opening the top drawer and dropping it in before closing it and waving her wand over it. Mumbling some incantation he didn't hear.

"A bit of fire." Brena shrugged. James and Sirius both shared a look as Brena placed her hands on the dresser. Her hands were shaking slightly. Her fear still well imprinted in her mind.

"Thanks." Regulus muttered, his eyes on James Potter. The boy who saved his life. "I- just Thanks." James nodded at him like it was nothing. Everyday tasks he always did.

"Alright, raven?" Sirius questioned, his eyes never leaving Brenas back. Her shoulders seemed stiff and he had spotted the whites of her knuckles before she released the edge of the dresser.

"Huh? Yeah, I'm fi- I'm just gonna go shower. I smell like burnt dirt." She mumbled out before retreating to the bathroom.

James and Sirius shared a look as Regulus just stared at the door that had shut behind her.

"She is blaming herself." Regulus spoke up. James looked over at him, eyebrow raised. "She kept telling me nothing would happen. And then it did."

Sirius got up, walking towards the bathroom.

"You guys get some food up here. I'll talk to her." James nodded, jumping up from his spot on the now some what damp bed. Nobody had cared to dry off yet since it was the furthest from their mind.

"I'll remake the bed." Regulus announced as Sirius went into the closed bathroom.

Brena had the shower on hot as she leaned against the wall of the otherside of the bathroom. Clothes still on and steam filling the room.

Guilt was running through her. Like ice forced into lava. Here she was, frightened over almost losing someone when Regulus had almost died and she didn't even try to console him. She wasn't the one who saved him.

Would she have jumped into that water if James hadn't? Would she had risked her own life to save his?

Her fingers were digging into her palms as she let out a silent sob.

Coward. No wonder she was a hufflepuff and not a gryffindor. Maybe this is why she was supposed to be without magic. She wasn't a warrior. She wasn't ready to run into battle on either the light or dark. She hated chess.

So why did she feel like a pawn?

Sirius closed the door behind him, spotting Brena on the floor. Tears flowing freely down her face. He let out a sad sigh before moving to the shower, checking the temperature before adjusting it. He moved to swoop Brena up in his arms before entering the shower, not bothering with their clothes.

Brena shut her eyes as the water hit her, warming her up. Her face moving into his chest.

"It's not your fault." Sirius spoke after a minute. His arms holding her tightly, which was easy since she really didn't weigh much. "Reg wouldn't have let you go without him. He chose to drink the potion. He doesn't blame you for any of it."

"I wouldn't have done it." Brena mumbled. Sirius looked down at the girl who was grasping his wet shirt tightly.

"Done what?" He questioned confused. He thought he may have been missing something.

"Dived into the water." She answered quietly. "James dived in without a thought. I hesitated on even thinking about it."

"James is an idiot." Sirius said simply. "A suicidal moron." He corrected. Brena looked up at him, her eyes bloodshot.

"James was brave." She told him. Sirius sighed, shaking his head as he let her place her feet down. His arms still wrapped around her waist now.

"There is nothing wrong with not being brave all the time." Sirius told her. "You were brave more than most people I know. You have been brave since before I was brave enough to talk to you."

Brena looked at him, her eyes narrowed in thought.

"You have been through so much, Brena. More than most. And you're still going through it. The visions you have been living through- trying to prevent on your own...that's brave. Not many could do that- would do that. I know I couldn't."

"You would. You're like that..." Brena told him with a rasp to her voice. "If you knew your friends would die you would be the bravest person I know." Sirius shook his head.

"Maybe, maybe not." He leaned down, pressing his lips to her forehead. "Everyone is brave in their own way, little raven." He whispered to her gently.

Brena closed her eyes again, leaning against him as the water continued to hit her back. Her mind going to her plan to end this. The plan that would be ending a lot of things. The snake. Her potential illness from having Talvi with her. Voldemort.

"I'm scared." She breathed out honestly. Sirius let out a hum, his hand brushing through her hair.

"I'd be worried if you weren't."

A/n: short update to relax with

A/n: short update to relax with. Sad but not as stressful as it will become.

🤫