Chapter 17 - Minal

When I left Bunmi Restaurant, I was quickly followed by two of Imran's friends. The lousy ones in the group.

At first I thought they were trying to stop and tell me Imran was calling me, but then they asked for my name and contact which irritated me.

Without wasting much time I told them Imran and I knew each other, so if they needed any information they should go and ask him.

They tried persuading me to just give them my contact but I unhesitatingly hopped into my car, started the engine and drove away.

The moment I arrived home, Ya Siyyama asked for my car keys. Actually, she had talked about borrowing my car earlier on phone.

According to her, her car had developed some mechanic issues hence she called Dad's mechanic to come and pull it to his shop for a repair. 

After handing my car keys to her, I went to my room and devoured the food I bought from the restaurant – while thinking about Imran.

If only he could acknowledge my love for him, but I guess he was still in love with Ya Siyyama. Sadly, she would never love him. She had someone...

Yes, someone! Even though I wasn't really sure about it but I could remember hearing her talking about a guy named Khalifa to mom. He was probably her new...

Buzz!

Buzz!!

Buzz!!!

My phone began ringing and vibrating at the same time. I checked the caller i.d and found out it was Rumaisah, my longtime friend. She lived few blocks away from our house with her family. 

"Hey, RumRum!" I said the moment I picked the car.

"Hello, Minal. How are you today?" she greeted.

"I am fine, how about you?" I asked.

"Fine too!" she replied, "Please I need your help"

"Help kuma? Toh RumRum, I hope it's something I can do?" I muttered.

"It is, please, I would like you to escort me to BigiBase to buy some drinks for my cousin's upcoming birthday party" she said.

"Oh, eyyah... you didn't talk in time. Wallahi bai dade da Ya Siyyama ta fita da mota ta ba. Hers has spoilt" I empathized. 

"Okay toh, no problem. By the way, you are also invited to the birthday party. Idan zaki je sai mu je tare" she said.

"Yaushe kenan?" I asked about the day.

"In two days time, In Shaa Allah" she replied.

"Jibi kenan?" I confirmed.

"Eh!" she muttered.

"Toh, Allah Ya kai mu" I huffed.

"Ameen" she said, "Thank you Minal"

"You are welcome" I ended the call. 

I had wanted declining the invitation but I didn't want her to feel somehow. Anyways, it wasn't as if I would be busy that day. Although I would be having a lecture in the morning but... well, until then!

Later in the evening, just after Isha prayer Ya Siyyama returned back with my car keys and handed it over to me. "Thanks, baby sis!" she said and began heading towards the door to leave.

"You are welcome" I dropped the keys on the bedside table.

"By the way," she halted few steps to the door and turned around to me, "I re-filled the tank for you," she apprised.

"Okay toh" I beamed at her and watched as she left, closing the door gently behind her. 

The following day, after breakfast I decided to spend some time online while mom and Ya Siyyama did the chores.

I was busy going through my WhatsApp when I came across Imran's status updates, they were pictures of him and his parents.

In one of the pictures, he made a caption that reads; "Can't believe I am already missing this two!" – I didn't know what he was talking about so I asked if everything is okay.

"They are traveling!" he simply replied.

"Traveling? Wow, to where please if I may ask?" I messaged him again but this time around he viewed and ignored me. To be frank, I was pained by that but there was nothing I could do about it.

Later in the afternoon, I decided to ask Ya Siyyama about the trip so I could hear more from her.

I wasn't thinking straight, you know? It was after asking her that I realized I shouldn't have done that.

She quickly began asking how in the first place I even knew his parents were traveling.

"Actually, I... I saw it on his WhatsApp status" I stuttered.

"WhatsApp? Ina kika samu contact inshi, 'cause I can't remember giving you his contact nor giving him your contact?" she said laying emphasis on her last few words.

"Hmm, gaskiya I got it from your phone" I went straight to the point knowing fully she would be angry. It wasn't as if I have any other choice though, but to tell her the truth.

"You got it from my phone? Without my consent?" she frowned, "Anyways, you should ask him about the trip yourself then. And from now on, stay away from my personal belongings!" she angrily muttered.

"But Ya Siyyama..."

"Don't you dare..." she pointed her index finger at me, "Kada ki kuskura ki matso kusa da ni, and if I hear my name in your mouth again I will break it. Wallahi" she warned.

***************

Your update is here...