Chapter 22 - Imran

When I returned home from Mallam Garba's house, I sat in the dining island and ate the food I came back with while thinking about Minal.

The way she chased her veil, it wasn't proper considering the people around. Her body was shaking and all those boys were just... looking at her.

I didn't even know when I made up my mind and helped her snatch the veil away from the wind. Thus, I handed it over to her and she thanked me.

I learnt from Mallam Garba's niece, Rumaisah that they were friends and she was the one that invited her. Shortly after she left, the rain began falling heavily. I had to leave too, and now I was back home.

As soon as I was done eating and was about going upstairs to my room, my phone started ringing. At first I thought it was Barirah, but when I checked I found out it was Mallam Garba.

"Hello!" I said the moment I picked the call.

"Hi sir," he responded, "hope you reached home safely?"

"Yes, Alhamdulillah" I huffed.

"Ma Shaa Allah. So, how did you see my niece?" he asked.

"Rumaisah?" I blurted.

"Yes, ya ka gan ta? Idan ta ma, then we can marry her off to you" he said.

"Like seriously?" I sarcastically uttered, trying to hold my laughter.

"Trust me, and she's a very nice girl. She won't mind if you decide to add another woman in the future, I know her very well" he said.

"Mallam Garba kenan," I smiled, "Thank you. But gaskiya, it's not like I don't appreciate your kindness but..." I paused not even knowing how to tell him I wasn't interested in her.

"Hmm, okay, I get it... I understand" he said.

"Thank you for understanding" I gulped.

"You are welcome sir, goodnight" he said.

"Goodnight" I ended the call.

...

The following day, while eating breakfast Barirah called and told me she lost one of her relatives in Bauchi.

"Subhanallah!" I blurted, shocked.

"Wallahi, and just few days ago I conversed with the woman on phone fa" she said amidst sob.

"What happened to her, was she sick?" I curiously asked.

"No, she died during labour. Both she and the baby lost their lives" she replied.

"Inna lillahi wa inna ilaihi raji'un, that's tragic!" I muttered.

"Wallahi, so tragic. She was a very good woman, so kind and generous" she said.

"Eyyah, may her soul rest in peace. And the baby's too" I prayed.

"Ameen" she sniffed, "Which time will you be going to work today?" she asked.

"As soon as I am done with this breakfast In Shaa Allah, any problem?" I uttered.

"No, daman Mama ne take neman wanda zai kai ta garage. She will be leaving today for Bauchi and gaskiya I can't drive that car, I would have taken her to the garage myself" she explained.

"Okay, I will be on my way yanzu. Tell her I am coming" I said.

"Toh" she said and ended the call.

...

When I got myself prepared, I drove to their house. Rumaisah helped me conveyed her mother's luggage to my car and quickly summoned her mother.

The woman came out with both her eyes red and swollen, she must have cried her heart out. "Good morning ma" I greeted her.

"Morning Imran, how...are you?" she said in a shaky tone.

"Alhamdulillah, I am fine. Ya muka ji da hakuri?" I asked how she's coping.

"Hakuri sai ma'aki" she replied positively.

"Allah ya jikan ta, ya sa ta huta" I prayed for the deceased.

"Ameen" she responded together with Barirah, then we hopped into the car.

She sat in the back passenger seat while Barirah sat in the front with me.

It was a silent drive to the garage, we arrived a few minutes later and unloaded her luggage from the trunk. A wailer came and asked if we were traveling to Abuja.

"No, Bauchi. And it's only one person" Barirah replied him.

"Okay" the man said and then directed us to a parked 18-seater bus. The bus was almost full.

Before Barirah's mother hop in, she looked at me and told me she wanted going with Barirah but Barirah was stubborn, and now she would be staying at home alone.

"Mama, I told you I can take care of my..." Barirah chimed in as her mother glared at her and told her to keep quiet.

The woman then relaxed her facial muscles and turned to me,"Can you look after her for me?" she asked, "I want you to look after her for me please" she added.

"Okay Mama, I will. In Shaa Allah" I assured her.

"Thank you" she said and then hopped into the bus.

Shortly after, the bus hit the road and Barirah and I returned to my car.

While on our way back to their house, she became calm and uninterested in the topics I'd brought up. I had to ask what was going on.

"Is everything okay?" I glanced at her.

"Nothing" she said.

"Are you sure?" I asked to be sure.

"Yes, just that I am not happy with the way Mama castigated me" she replied.

"Hmm, I don't understand. She didn't say anything wrong ai" I tried to defend her mother.

"She said I didn't follow her because I am stubborn, and wallahi it's not like that. It's just because I don't want to miss the Qur'anic graduation that will take place next week in our Islamiya" she said.

***************

Good morning...