Chapter 40 - Imran

Few months after the introduction, our wedding date was fixed and cards were already at the print house about to be brought to us.

The wedding was a month from now, but we had started our preparation already. Hajiya said the earlier we start, the better for us.

Minal was so happy about the whole wedding thing, she was more excited than I was. She'd severally expressed how eager she was to be my wife.

I, on the other hand, had developed negative feelings for her lately. It was as if I was already losing interest in her.

At first I thought I could handle the situation but when I couldn't, I decided to open up to Hajiya about it.

"Don't worry, Imran" she had appeased me, "It's the work of the devil and it used to happen to women too," she had continued, "especially when they are about to get married to a good man"

"Okay, but what can I do now, Hajiya?" I had asked, worried.

"Just keep on praying, and don't stop treating Minal the way you should. Treat her with the same energy you used to, okay?" she had advised me.

"Okay, Hajiya" I had nodded in acknowledgement.

...

Today was a rainy day, it rained throughout the day. The rain began falling at precisely seven in the morning and didn't stop until quarter past six in the evening. 

Everywhere was so cold, it was as if we had rain the whole week. I had to wear my complete gear to work today.

And just as I returned back home from work, I met Minal and Hajiya in the sitting room watching while chitchatting.

"Oyoyo!" Minal said the moment she saw me. And before I knew it, she was already walking over to me. "Welcome back, my love" she collected the suitcase in my hand and asked how my day went at work.

"Alhamdulillah, how about you? How are you?" I wrinkled a brow.

"Hmm, I am fine too!" she smiled before telling me to go and greet Hajiya while she take the suitcase to my room.

"Okay. Thank you!"

"You are welcome, my king" she said and began heading towards the stairway while I stare at her.

"Erhmm!" I heard Hajiya cleared her throat, probably trying to call my attention. She must have thought I had forgotten about her.

"Good evening, Hajiya" I greeted her, heading towards one of the couches.

"Evening, Imran... and welcome back!" she said, looking at me weirdly while smiling.

"Thank you" I sat wearily on the couch, "What's up with the strange look, Hajiya?" I asked curiously.

"Hmm... nothing," she huffed. I could sense she was lying, or should I say hiding something.

"I know when you are hiding something from me, Hajiya" I vocalized while smiling at her. 

"Hmm, okay... but it's really nothing. Just that we were just talking about you and then you showed up" she said.

"Wow, I am honoured" I blurted.

"You should be. By the way, ya aiki? Hope the weather didn't affect your work today" she asked.

"Not really, but I think I will rest tomorrow" I heaved a sigh.

"Yes, you really should!" she supported me.

Suddenly, we began hearing footsteps coming down the stairs. It was definitely Minal. She returned back to the sitting room and asked if I was going to eat my dinner now or after praying Magrib.

"After Magrib" I said the fact that I wasn't hungry at all.

Besides, I ate a lot at work in the afternoon. All thanks to Mallam Garba, he brought pounded yam and shared with me.

"Okay," she huffed and then glanced at me before turning to look at Hajiya.

"Is everything okay?" I asked out of curiosity.

"Nothing, just that she wants me to give you people space" Hajiya chimed in sarcastically. And in the blink of an eye she had already stood to her feet and was leaving the sitting room for us.

"You sent my mom away koh?" I jokingly uttered, bossly staring at Minal.

"No... ni a wa? Ban isa ba ai, my love" she giggled as she shifted more closer to me. "But seriously, I think we deserve the privacy" she added, now giving me a serious look.

"Is everything okay?" I found myself asking.

"I don't know, it's just that... I don't want to lose you, Imran" she grabbed one of my hands and placed it on her cheek. 

"And who says you were going to lose me?" I looked at her, confused.

"No one, I am just saying" she uttered.

I didn't know why she said what she said but it was obvious she had acknowledged the changes in me lately even though I had tried my best to hide it.

Anyways, she had nothing to worry about the fact that our wedding was already fast approaching and I had made up my mind to face the challenges ahead... starting from the negative feelings I developed for her lately.

***************

Hello, people...

Writer's block is torturing me o!