Chapter 31 - Minal

When Barirah and Imran came, I told Abdullah to usher them in while I get them something to quench their thirst with.

It was quarter past eight in the evening, they actually came late. They came when Goggo Sabuwa was already asleep.

We talked for a while in the sitting room before Barirah texted me that she would like to talk to me in private about something. Thus, we excused ourselves to my room upstairs.

The moment we arrived in my room, she walked over to my bed and sat wearily on it.

"Hope everything is fine?" I asked, sitting right next to her on the bed. I was kind of worried, I mean the way she huffed.

"Nothing, just that..." she huffed again, "I am leaving Mx (Minna)" she apprised.

"What! Why? To where?" I bespoke, confused.

"To Bauchi. Nan zan koma da zama" she uttered, "I am tired of this state wallahi"

"Aah! But tired as in how now? Is it money? How much do you want? Maybe I can help you with something" I said as she shook her head,

"It's not just about money, it's about... Imran, too. I want to be far away from him" she said, sending shivers down my spine.

"Like seriously?" I tried to hide my excitement, albeit I was also sorry for her. It was obvious their relationship wasn't going well.

"You won't understand, Minal. I like him a lot but shi baya so na, he sees me as a sister. Plus I am not the type of girl he wants" she complained.

"Oh!" I actually thought they were dating before, "What makes you think you are not the type of girl he wants?" I wrinkled a brow at her.

"Because he said so" she muttered.

"He did that?" I wanted to be sure.

"Yes, he did that. And by the way, Sayyada told me about your feelings for him too" she said rendering me speechless, didn't I warned Sayyada not to do that? Shit! – "She said you love him too, even more than I do" she added.

"Look, Barirah..." I tried to explain that I had literally moved on but she couldn't let me,

"I fully understand, Minal, you don't have to explain anything to me. Imran is a complicated young man when it comes to love. I mean, he always talks about women with full packages, that he loves them. But here you are, with everything yet, he's still... what's wrong with that guy please, for God's Sake?" she deadpanned.

"I thought he only wants slim ladies?" I wondered.

"Imran? No, he told me he wants women with full package. I don't know if he's just giving me excuses, but that was what he told me" she said as her phone began ringing, "I am coming please, incoming call" she stood and picked the call, "Hello... Ya Habib ya iso? Okay, I will be on my way now..." she ended the call.

"Is everything okay?" I asked.

"Yes, everything is fine. We just have a visitor" she responded.

"Okay, let me escort you downstairs" I stood to my feet too.

"Thank you" she beamed at me. "Before I leave," she continued, "I would like you to know that I won't mind if you end up winning Imran's heart. But I will be very angry if you don't invite me to your wedding"

"Is that so?" I scoffed.

"Yeah!" she giggled.

As soon as we went downstairs we found Imran going through his phone. He quickly stood up from the sofa and began staring at me.

Now that I know you like women with full package, my mind is at rest... Imran. I stared at him as well, standing firmly close to Barirah.

"Mom called me, we have a visitor" she notified him, "You can stay here though if you feel like," she playful said, "but I am leaving"

"Stay where?" he scoffed at her.

"What's funny?" she asked. I also wondered.

"Nothing, just that..." he looked at me, "Never mind" he beamed.

"Okay, we should go now" Barirah said and began leading the way, deliberately leaving us behind. 

While trailing her, my body mistakenly brushed Imran's and I felt the shock I had never felt before in my life. Ya Salam! I quickly composed myself.

He didn't say anything and I also didn't utter a word. We went to his car outside and I bade them goodbye as they drove away.

When I returned back into the house, I couldn't stop thinking about the whole thing. I thought I had given up on him before, but now I can't even tell if the word "give up" is in my dictionary. Maybe not.

***************

Another update.