Chapter 38 - Imran

What happened between my dad and Rahina's mother in Moscow wasn't something I expected. And even though I was hurt about the contract we lost, I was more hurt about losing Rahina completely as both a friend and a potential spouse.

When my dad talked to the ambassador about his plan to hook his daughter with me, the man seemed okay with it but his wife wasn't. She plainly rejected it, saying she had better plans for her daughter which obviously means I wasn't better for her daughter.

In anger, my dad confronted her and told her it wasn't even her place to make decisions regarding her daughter's marriage when the father is still alive. His words hurt her badly, and before I knew it they had started arguing with each other.

The ambassador didn't say anything first, and when he later did he supported his wife. The woman then persuaded him to terminate our contract to which he did. We were monetarily compensated though before the guards escorted us to the airport.

When Hajiya heard the whole thing upon our return home, she couldn't hold her laughter even after seeing how displeased my dad was. She then apologized sarcastically and told him our indigenous girls are far better compared to those abroad, sadly I am running away from them...

But running away? I wasn't really running away from anyone, right? Or was I? 

Anyways, I wouldn't say she was wrong. Most of the girls I met here in Nigeria didn't just meet my taste, except for Minal. I wouldn't mention her sister's name though the fact that I met Siyyama in the U.K not here.

Minal was really a gem, she was the calm and understanding type. I could remember ghosting her for so long but that didn't change the feelings she had for me. I didn't realize how precious she was until now, after having learned some lessons from Moscow.

When our plane touched down, she was among the few people I apprised about my return to Nigeria. She quickly drove to the vincity of our house, hence I directed her to our house and ushered her in.

I then introduced her to Hajiya and my dad. Hajiya was delighted to see her, but dad didn't seem to care. He was paranoid, even more than I was. We really faced what we shouldn't have faced at the Nigerian Embassy in Moscow.

Hajiya admired Minal, and after leaving us both to ourselves in the sitting room Minal became curious as to why I wasn't lively. At first I didn't want to share the story with her but seeing how persuasive she was, I decided to narrate the little I could to her...

Yes, I excluded Rahina's part. I didn't want to hurt her feelings, you know, she would definitely be sad the fact that I partially tried ditching her for someone.

After hearing about the contract termination, which was the only part I narrated to her, she consoled me and assured me better days are coming. She was really good at consolation.

Suddenly, she brought the issue of marriage. Telling me she would like us to get married soon. Well, it wasn't as if I was against the idea. It was just that I didn't want to rush things. Anyways, I told her I would talk to my parents about it and then get back to her soon.

...

Today was a sunny day, Mallam Garba came to our house to greet us. He had been so busy taking care of my business to the point he couldn't come to greet us in time.

He was really a natural manager, and to say I was amazed by how he managed my business is an understatement. The success was overwhelming!

He really did great, and for that reason I promised to increase his bonus for this year by six percent even though I knew he deserved better than that.

However, he was so excited about it. He nearly even bowed down for me out of joy. So odd. I didn't know when I quickly halted him from doing that and told him it's just a small thing...

"Small what? No, haba... this is big sir!" he had excitedly said.

Thus, I told him to continue the good work as I wouldn't be returning back to work anytime soon.

"Is everything okay, sir?" he had curiously asked.

"Yes, just that I need to rest" I had responded, even though I knew I had had enough rest already. Just that I needed some time to think about how to bring up the issue of marriage to my dad due to what happened lately...

I didn't want to infuriate him more, you know? He was still angry with the ambassador. Bringing marriage issue now to him with Minal might, you know anger him more. And the last thing I wanted at the moment was his anger soaring.

***************

Quote of the day:

"Sometimes people stop believing in true love not because they are selfish but because they have seen a lot"

– KingMoha.