Ten

He's already smoking when I enter his black Crown but he smiles when he sees me.

"We're going for ice cream."

He drives out of parish but I don't question why we have to go so far just for ice cream.

He drives all the way to Negril.

Chillpops.

He smiles when he sees that I realize where we are.

"It's the first thing that came to mind." He admits.

We go to get a variety of different stuff to try and walk along the beach.

While walking we see a jerk man.

"Want something?" He gestures to him after finishing his popsicles.

Badman a nyam popsicle.

I nod so we go over to the man and I get jerk chicken and pork with all the sauces, festivals, corn and coleslaw while Tego gets jerk chicken and bread.

We go over to a large empty rock and sit on it while being shaded by the huge palm trees and watch the huge waves crash and glisten under the setting sun.

"Look deh." He points at something that jumped back in the water. I didn't even get to see it.

"Just watch."

I keep my eyes on that section of the water then I see two fish jump out of the water and back in.

I screech from shock.

Flying fish?

In Jamaica?

He chuckles at my reaction. "Nuff people neva know seh flying fish deh a Jamaica and if yuh tell some people them a guh seh yah idiot."

I nod while listening to him.

"Dem fish deh supposed to feel alienated."

I push my eyebrows together. "Why yuh seh dat?"

He shrugs. "Cause most other fish dem size deh just know water suh them just different. Other fish can just be jealous of them just because they can't jump out of water and see what's going on above them for a second."

Is he talking about fish?

"Rest a di fish dem a pussy." He laughs to himself. "But some fish and dem can be cool still."

His eyes meet mine. "A nuh just fish stay suh. All a wi a di same ting."

I nod again at him.

"Why did you say yes?" He asks, still staring at me.

"To seeing you?" I ask.

Duh.

He rolls his eyes and sighs. "Yes."

I shrug my shoulders. "You didn't really give me a choice."

He nods slowly while still staring at me.

"But if a just pussy yuh want then you can let me know." I say to him which earns me a smile.

"No.." He trails off and glances at the waves then back at me. "When that's all I wanted, I made sure you knew but now I want to get to know you."

"Then why were you so weird the entire time I was at your house?"

He sits up straight. "What do you mean?"

"Like you came to me and then you ignored me the rest of the time."

He narrows his eyes at me. "What did I come to you with?"