Twenty-Eight

lol yall gonna get sumn nice for love month but not rn

***

"How are you?" He finally speaks to me after having his entire focus on the road since I've entered his car.

"Me? I'm fine." I answer almost too quickly which causes him to chuckle.

"You're fine..." He mumbles to himself. "That's good."

After a few minutes the silence becomes overwhelming.

He doesn't even have music playing in the background.

What do you need my help with?

"I need you to vouch for me for something." He simply says as if he was reading my mind.

Or maybe I said it out loud.

"Vouch for you for what?" I question.

"I'm leaving and I need you to be my alibi." He still doesn't look at me.

He keeps driving and focusing on the road.

"Why do you need an alibi?" My mouth rushed before the thoughts fill up my brain.

What has he been up to?

That's the problem with Tego. He's always up to something and he never lets me know what's happening.

And with the type of person he is, when you think about what he's been up to the possibilities are simply endless.

Different thoughts consume my brain as I wonder why he needs an alibi from drug involvement to scamming to extortion to even human trafficking.

He doesn't answer though.

"Tego." I call his name as firmly as I can.

"What?" He snaps but he still doesn't look at me so I scoff.

"How are you going to ask me a favour just to be rude to me when I show a small sign of concern?"

True to his nature, he kisses his teeth.

"Never mind." He mumbles almost low enough for me not to hear.

"Huh?" I press.

He kisses his teeth before answering. "Never mind. I don't need your help."

I chuckle at his immature reaction.

"What?" He snaps.

"Nothing..." My voice trails off but he just kisses his teeth once more.

"Jade, that's childish. Why are you giggling?" His voice is very firm but I giggle once more.

"Nothing." I flash a quick smile at him but he just kisses his teeth again.

"I don't even know why I try with you." He mumbles.

"Excuse me?"

"You're immature and childish."

His words hit like a truck. "I'm not." My voice trails off.

A small bitter laugh escapes his lips. "I'm not arguing with you. I said what I said."

"I want to go home." I blurt.

His eyes narrow but he just makes an immediate u-turn by just drifting the car in a circle to go in the next lane.

"What the fuck!" I scream but he doesn't falter one bit.

He just keeps his eyes focused on the road and presses harder on the gas.

"What are you doing?" I scream once more.

"Taking you home." He shrugs. "That's where you said you wanted to be, right?"

He's insane.

"Yuh nuh nawmal a bomboclaat." I whisper mostly to myself but he laughs and continues to speed to my house so we're back there in half the time.

I sit still in the passenger seat while I try to catch my breath.

"You're actually crazy." I say while holding my chest.

He doesn't answer. He just taps his fingers against the steering wheel.

We could have lost our lives just now and all because Tego was throwing a temper tantrum.

There's absolutely no way he thinks I'm immature when he just risked our lives to be petty.

We sit in silence for another two minutes before I sigh deeply and that's when he finally turns his head in my direction.

"Anytime mi call yuh bout the alibi work wid anyting mi seh." He breathes.

I blink at him but he means what he says and doesn't change his demeanor one bit.

I sigh once more but he just places his hand on my thigh and gently rubs it.

"I know you're very stubborn but yuh can jus work wid mi fi once?" He trails his fingertips against my thigh.

I nod in response which finally earns me a smile.

"You're a sweetheart." I finally catch his smile.

"I'll talk to you later then, Tego."

He nods.

I exit his vehicle and make my way to my house.

Weird..

I decide to just go inside and go to sleep. It wasn't long before I was being startled awake by my phone ringing.

Why would someone be calling me when I just went to bed?

I groan loudly before looking over at the caller ID. I answer as quickly as my half-awake mind would allow.

"Why did you take so long to answer?" He sounds upset but I think I have the right to be more upset since I'm the one that was woken up.

"I'm sleeping." I snap before pulling the phone away to check the time.

2:37

He kisses his teeth before sighing and finally responding to me.

"Come outside."

When I exit my house and look in my driveway, I see a black F150 with a cover on the entire back part of the van, two very beat up old school cars and Tego leaning against his black Crown.