Thirty-Two

"Two?" The nerdy teenager looks at Tego from behind his glasses.

Tego scoffs and rolls his eyes without answering him. The boy only bites the inside of his cheek instead of speaking again.

"All-inclusive, right?" The boy attempts to speak to Tego once more but he only gets a quick nod in response.

"It's $13,750." The boy murmurs.

Tego hands him some folded over $5000 notes. "I need a carrier bag too and a cart."

The boy nods and then cashes the wristbands and gives them to us and when he tries to give Tego the change he shrugs him off.

Tego puts on my wristband first and then his after.

"Do you think you can beat me?" He flashes a smile at me with half his face being covered by his hair.

"I mean..." My voice trails off and I shrug at him causing him to laugh.

"Okay, okay. I guess we'll see then."

We make our way over to the golf carts where he obviously assumes the driver's position and I sit beside him. The bag is in the back of the cart with all the tools we needed.

"I didn't expect you to like golfing." I speak up.

He shrugs. "Well, I actually expected you to like golfing." He chuckles a bit after his statement.

"Uptown girl." He mumbles but I just playfully roll my eyes.

"Okay, bad man." He chuckles once more.

"Which course do you want to go to first?" He asks.

"The water one."

He drives the cart to the water course and leaves the cart to the side. He exits the cart and grabs the bag, drapes it across his shoulder and holds out a hand for me to hold so we can walk over to the start of the course.

I accept his hand and we slowly walk there.

Once we're there, he hands me a club then takes out one for himself followed by a ball.

"Ladies first." He smiles at me while propping himself against the golf club.

"Well, why not?" I smirk at him before grabbing a ball myself. "I'm gonna show you up regardless." I shrug.

I place the ball down and make the first big swing which causes my ball to go directly in the pool instead of the lazy river for it to get brought to the hole.

"Show me up?" Tego laughs.

I roll my eyes at him. "Jus' wait, nuh."

The ball rolls over into the end of the lazy river and right into the hole.

He raises his eyebrows to give me an impressed look.

"Okay, okay. Can gi yuh da one deh. Yuh trick mi." He shrugs.

"Bye." I playfully slap his shoulder and roll my eyes. "You're acting like you're not impressed."

"It was very impressive, my darling. I just hope you can keep it up for the next holes."

He ignores me to make his shot the regular way so we're both tied now.

"See? Mi a baller." He says very matter of factly.

"Lucky yuh lucky." I snicker.

"Alright, tell you what. If I win, then you have to drive back home." He suggests.

"Ugh! I hate driving." I grumble. "Why should I drive when you're here?"

"That's what a bet is about, Jade."

"Okay then, fine. I'll drive if you win." I give in which causes him to smile.

"But if I win then you definitely have to eat anything I order after the game."

The man skin up him face.

"Yuh eat garbage, bro." His face still skin up.

I roll my eyes. "You are a rass country man and that's my terms for the bet." I huff.

He laughs and then shrugs. "Alright then, fine. Next hole."

••••

"Okay, okay!" Tego fake yells as we finally sit down at the cafe to get something to eat. "You win! You're the best at mini golf."

"Aint no joke about it either!" I exclaim.

"It's never that serious." He chuckles.

A waitress walks over to our table and flashes a smile at the both of us. "Hi, what are you having today?"

"Pizza!" I exclaim a bit too loudly but I catch myself.

Tego huffs but I couldn't care less because I won the bet.

"Any toppings?" She asks as she jots it down.

"Yes." I answer too quickly. "ground beef, onions, sweet pepper, barbecued chicken and extra cheese."

I see him grimace slightly from the corner of my eye.

"Alright. Anything to drink?" She jots down some more.

"Sprite."

"Can I at least have a Heineken?" Tego finally speaks.

He bats his eyelashes at me and does a sad attempt at a puppy face. "Please, I need some kind of familiarity."

I roll my eyes and huff. "Fine. You can get the Heineken."

"Okay, I'll go place your order and be right back with you." The waitress gives us another smile before she leaves.

"That pizza is gonna be one heavy motherfucker." He mumbles to himself.

"And you're gonna have to enjoy every. single. bite."