Sixteen

"What do you think of these?" My mother holds up two Christmas themed throws.

One is tan and off white with little reindeers on it and the other one is an off white crotchet type throw.

Normally I would shrug my shoulders but Christmas is almost one week away and I know she wants everything to be perfect in time.

"Why don't you get both? Since you like the two of them I mean. You can use them for different things."

She nods before putting them both in a cart with a few other throws.

We spend another four hours at the furniture store before going to the Chinese restaurant across the road to have dinner and then we went home to start decorating.

"Do you think we should still have pre-Christmas brunch this year?" She asks me as we sit on the floor with all the Christmas tree pieces spread out before us.

"It's what you wanted so I don't see why you would change your mind now."

She shrugs. "You're right. I'm going to start sending out invitations as soon as I can."

She puts down the base of the tree firmly on the ground. "What do you think? Does that look sturdy enough?"

I nod and continue to help her to put the tree up but by the time we were finished, we were both extremely exhausted and decided to just eat something and go to bed.

She ended up finishing the decorating with majority of the non-professional help being from my father and the break seemed to be going by quicker than I expected it to because I hadn't even realized that the brunch would be tomorrow until Alexia mentioned it  on our current call bringing me back to reality.

I am not in charge of invitations because it's not my party plus it wasn't at the front of my mind but I am glad that my mother invited Alexia and most likely her mother too.

"Is it buffet style?" She asks me.

I nod which earns me a smile from her. "I like that."

We chat a bit more including her plans for the upcoming yacht party before we both get tired and decide to end the call.

I'm woken up by my door being knocked aggressively. "Jade! Git up!"

My mother.

I take a deep breath before getting up and starting to get ready for the day.

I do my makeup and maintain my leave out before getting dressed.

I decide to call Jordan to see if he was also invited.

He answers on the first ring. "Hi."

"Hi?"

Weird.

"Are you coming to the brunch?"

He scoffs. "Yuh cyaa serious enuh, Jade."

Huh?

"What do you mean?" I ask him but he just laughs.

"Your mother invited me- that's fine. I know Alexia must have even helped y'all plan." He sounds bitter.

"It's not my party, Jordan. I am not in charge of inviting anyone. I was just wondering if you did get invited-"

"It's whatever, Jade. I'll see you there." He hangs up same time.

Rude.

I ignore Jordan's very petty behaviour and just get dressed in the outfit my mother bought for me before going down to her waiting in her car in the garage.