Forty-Two

I release myself from his grip but he just grabs hold of my mouth, turns me around and presses my back into his chest.

He brings his lips close to my ear. "If yuh know wah good fi yuh- walk."

I feel the subtly cool metal press against me.

I swallow hard but walk while he guides me from behind.

He leads me to a white axio and puts me in the back seat.

There is another man sitting in the driver's seat and he drives away as soon as we sit down.

He finally lets go of my mouth. "Talk now. Weh Tego deh?"

I look at him but don't answer.

He raises his hand to tug at the roots of his plaits and takes a deep sigh.

"You don't have to answer then." He directs his attention to the driver. "Can just gwaan drive bossy."

From the backseat it's very difficult to make out my surroundings because it's very dark but I can see a bit from the front glass because of course the driver needs to see.

I still have no idea where I'm going and sitting in the dark car in dead silence doesn't help me to have an idea of where we're going.

My phone starts vibrating which startles me a bit.

The man looks over at me but doesn't say anything when I pull out my phone to check it.

Multiple missed calls from Alexia and unopened texts.

"If it's Tego call him back." The man says.

I shake my head before replying. "It's my best friend. She mussi realize seh mi get tek weh."

The man rolls his eyes. "Can call her mek she know seh Tego mek e happen."

It's my turn to roll my eyes but I still call Alexia and she picks up on the first ring.

"Girl," She quickly answers and it sounds like she shuffles away from the music. "A tek dem tek yuh weh?"

"Yeah," I respond. "One a Tego friend dem."

The man glares at me.

"Oh- wow." Alexia says. "I'm so confused. What happened? Where are you? Have you called Tego as yet? How comes I didn't hear anything when I was up here?"

"I'll fill you in."

"No, this is serious and very dangerous." She says. "Do you know who took you? Are you sure your life isn't at risk? What is their relationship to Tego and why do they know you to take you?"

For some reason although these are all good questions to ask anyone in this situation they aren't questions that even flashed across my mind since I first glanced at this man.

I swallow hard before looking over at him where I am met with his intense gaze.

The phone is to my ear so I can only hope he's barely hearing what I'm saying.

"You're right." I finally answer Alexia out loud.

"Please Jade, just keep me posted. I'm going home- I don't feel safe but please send me your location and try to figure out what's going on from your end. I'm going to call your man."

She hangs up so I immediately send her my location.

"What are you doing?" The man asks.

I don't answer him though but he just glances at my phone then glares at me again.

"Did you send someone your location?" He growls.

I still don't answer him so he grabs my phone.

"They can call you but I'll answer from now on." He puts it in his pocket.