13.3 Thodi Si Bewafai -part 3

Khushi stayed out of Nishant's sight for the rest of the physiotherapy session. And only came in front of him when he was leaving.

Nishant deliberately stayed behind as she held the door open. He had to ask her if she was ok and mainly happy,

"Arnav is progressing well, Khushi. Although it's quite early but I am sure he will be on his feet in near future."

Khushi smiled and nodded. What was she going to say when she knew that until that really happened, until Arnav really was back on his feet, he won't be at peace, and he won't let her be either.

"You are taking good care of him, you know."

"it's my responsibility Dr. Nishant." She said, hoping to end the conversation.

"I know. You were always a good nurse, I never doubted that." He said with a small smile.

"I meant as a wife." She hastily said and he nodded.

"You are not practicing, are you?"

"No and now if you will please excuse me, I need to go. My baby must be awake." She said referring to her child and he took it as his cue to leave, but not entirely convinced about her happiness...

Would she have been happier if they were still together? If he showed a little more courage? But she also didn't wait for him, did she? The pain of heartbreak when he got to know about her marriage 4 years ago, was still evident in his heart... he punched his hand on his car's bonnet before opening the door and zooming out of the premises at once.

.

.

Khushi sighed in relief that Nishant left. She knew he was trying to talk to her, trying to make her open to him. But why didn't he understand it was 5 years too late? He had left her; he was coward and then he had an audacity to ask her why she didn't wait for him?

She was glad, she didn't though. She wouldn't have met Arnav otherwise. Arnav. The man who was first her father's favorite student, then the man her father wanted her to consider marrying and then her husband and father of her child. She had immense respect for him, she cared a lot about him, and she knew he loved her a lot. But did she? Could she? What was love even? She didn't trust that emotion anymore. Not after what happened all those years ago.

Flashback from 5 years ago:

Khushi's father, Shashi was a professor in junior college and also took classes in higher secondary grades of the same school. That was when he met a bright young boy, Arnav. Unlike other kids his age, Arnav was much more mature, never indulging in teasing sessions or whatever other kids in his class were busy with. Topper in academics, star in sports, Arnav was a hero in their school, but he was also a loner. He hardly had any friends. Shashi's own son, Shyam who was in the same class as Arnav, also couldn't befriend him. It was as if Arnav had closed his heart to any new people.

And one day the suspense was cleared when arnav's parents visited the school and requested for his school transfer certificate. Apparently, they were divorced, none wanting his responsibility in their new families and a 9th grader Arnav was to be sent away to a hostel in Lonawala.

Prof. Shashi couldn't do much then, but he had assured Arnav that whenever he needs any support in his life, he can contact Shashi. That earned him a special place in Arnav's heart. Arnav often wrote him emails and kept in touch with him telling him about his progress through his college career and later his job. But he never came to Mumbai in these years.

.

.

It was after 10 years when Arnav came to meet his beloved professor. This time as a young corporate employee in a well-known firm and posted in Mumbai. He had come to take Shashi's blessings and thank him for being there for him! Shashi had never doubted Arnav's capabilities and knew that he had a bright future, and now looking at this boy who was grown up to be a fine man, made Shashi proud. He wished he could make this boy a part of his family.