19.2 Just a number - pt2

Note: I imagine Kirron Kher as Arnav's mother.

--*--

Arnav had gotten late while leaving college today. All staff would leave at 5 pm sharp, unless some students came to ask questions during exams or submissions. And given the end semester exams were still a month away, he didn't expect long days.

But this one particular student in his class was turning out be very studious! Khushi was her name, wasn't it? The 'different' kid! When almost all girls her age wore jeans and shirts, he had found her stumble in her steps handling her saree or her dupattas. He had chuckled at her clumsiness and often wondered why she chose to dress that way. Maybe from a traditional family, he shrugged. He wouldn't have paid so much attention to her if not for her frequent interactions with him, as she almost always had questions for him. In fact, he had seen her linger around the staff room for hours just to meet him and he didn't like doing that to his students. So, he would always give her time. However, she was often nervous around him, and he would assure her, she didn't need to. Oblivious to the fact that he was fanning some different hopes in her heart that had nothing to do with the course he taught!

.

.

After parking his car, Arnav entered his 2-storey house and was welcomed with loud sound of laughter from his nephew's room. His feet automatically took him there and as always, the scene managed to make him smile despite himself.

Anshu was watching a Marvel movie- Avengers to be specific, and along with him were Arnav's mother Reema and Arnav's distant aunt Madhumati who were behaving like 6-year-old themselves. Madhumati was a nurse once a time and was a childless widow, so after this accident when Reema was wheelchair ridden, Madhumati willingly came to stay with them as a full-time caregiver and a family member. However, in past 5 years, if anything, Arnav's maa and buaji had become kids like Anshu than the elderly women they were! Arnav had an inkling that they used to do this to help him and Anshu get over the trauma that accident left them in. And Arnav always admired his mother's spirit! She had lost her husband, her daughter and son-in-law within the same day as well as lost her ability to walk. But she had refused to let that dampen her spirit!

But that wouldn't mean he would let them get spoilt and spoil Anshu too, right? Someone had to maintain discipline here!

"Watching a movie at 7pm, Anshu? What did I say about your TV hours?" Arnav's voice startled the 3 "kids" as he walked further in the room, "And Maa, at least you behave your age. Iss umra mein aapko aaram karna(you should rest at this old age)- " Arnav said in a mock anger, and Anshu hurriedly paused the movie while his mother frowned.

"Buddhi hogi tumhari maa (It must be your mother who's old, not me)!" Reema said and as Arnav quirked his eyebrow hearing that, she realized her folly and corrected herself, "I mean kisi aur ki maa(someone else's mother). I am still young at heart." she said, looking at Arnav hoping he caught the last sentence applied to him too and he loosened up a bit.

Arnav held back his chuckle and did his best job to make a serious face.

"That doesn't change that you can't exert yourself. Did you take your medicines? Buaji, did you give her?"

"Yes, babua. She has taken medicines and did her exercise too. Nandkishor ki kripa rahi toh jaldi chalne firne lagegi tumhari maa(God willing, she will soon start walking too)."

"I am telling you beta; I don't need these medicines." reema said making a face and then added in a small voice, "I need a vacation."

"Yes Nani! We should go on a vacation!" Anshu squealed and Arnav rolled his eyes at their ability to turn every serious confrontation to some fun topic.