27. Sleeping Beauty (Valentine's OS)

Happy Valentine's day, my lovely readers! May you all have abundant love in your lives, and may love continue to breathe and prosper in every heart ❣

--*-- 

"Please hurry up, doctor, do something, the patient is sinking." the nurse said in panic.

Words like these weren't new for him, he had learnt to maintain his calm while doing his job to save the patient at hand but still, today his hands were shaking. He was the best neurosurgeon in India, Dr. Arnav Singh Raizada and he was operating on one Ms. Khushi Gupta.

He tried to focus but his eyes burnt. Both due to lack of sleep, and due to unshed tears. He had flown to Delhi urgently last night from Coimbatore where he was currently posted. He tried to keep his tears at bay...

This wasn't any other patient for him. This was Dr. Gupta's daughter. Dr. Shashank Gupta was the dean of the medical college where Arnav studied, and he was very dear to Dr. Gupta. Besides, she was also special to him!

After he completed his MBBS, did specialization and started working in a reputed hospital in Coimbatore, Arnav's plans to visit Delhi in between didn't materialize, and thus, he hadn't had a chance to meet her. Not that he had any formal relationship with her to meet her.

But never had he thought in his worst nightmares that this is how he would see her after 4-5 years!

He had received a call from Dr. Gupta last night, requesting him to come to Delhi urgently. His wife and daughter met with an unfortunate accident, and both were critical. Dr. Gupta insisted that apart from himself, he only trusted Arnav and thus asked him to come to Delhi to aid in treating his wife and daughter.

By the time Arnav landed there, Dr. Gupta's wife, Garima, had passed away...

And now, a grieving Dr. Gupta told him, he doesn't have courage anymore to treat his daughter, his khushi, his only reason to live...

Arnav felt his heart break at the sight of this young 23-year-old girl who was lying there on a hospital bed, oblivious to the world around her. In his medical career, he had seen many sad cases, but this girl's current state made even his strongest resolve break and he felt emotional.

Tu Mera Koi Na Hoke Bhi Kuch Laage
Kiya Re Jo Bhi Tune Kaise Kiya Re
Jiya Ko Mere Baandh Aise Liya Re
Samajh Ke Bhi Na Samajh Main Saku

(Even Without Being Anyone To Me,
It Still Feels Like Something
Whatever You Did, How Did You Do It?
You Bound My Heart, In Such A Way.
Even Though I Try To Understand,

I Cannot Find Solace In Understanding.)

--*--

Arnav was getting ready to go the hospital. Although it was just 7 am, he knew Delhi's traffic would soon turn brutal if he didn't hurry up. Besides, this is how his routine was for the past 6 months...

Yes, it had been 6 months to that eventful day when he landed in Delhi on Dr. Shashank Gupta's insistence, 6 months to seeing a lifeless Khushi after many years of building courage to meet her once, and 6 months to him trying to miraculously save her life, albeit her slipping into a prolonged slumber that is called coma in medical terms...Dr. Arnav did manage to secure Khushi's breathing but he couldn't bring her back to life. Not yet.

And that was why he was trying to get success in, every single day.

"Mamu, are you going to hospital?" Minu aka Manini, his 7-year-old niece asked.