19. Just a number - finale/epilogue

The next day, Khushi and her parents visited Arnav's house to discuss the marriage proposal as well as tell them about their decision. Khushi was reluctant and miffed at her parents but hoped that Arnav and his family would agree.

Hearing Khushi's mother's condition stirred expected reactions from Arnav's mother and buaji, as they both opposed waiting for another year to see Arnav's married life start but they left the final decision to Arnav. Khushi saw a tinge of disappointment in Arnav's eyes, and her heart thudded with nervousness. She was really scared of losing him but wouldn't even be able to oppose her parents in this case neither take his side...and then they all heard him say,

"If waiting for one year will convince you that I and Khushi can have a happy future together, then we will wait."

The smile that bloomed on Khushi's face on hearing that told Arnav it was worth waiting for whatever long it took to prove her mother, her family or anyone else that he really did love her.

After all, they both valued what they had found in each other. For Arnav it was an impossible thing to stumble upon love when he had no such hope. While for Khushi it was more like a dream come true to have Arnav's love when he and everyone else had discouraged her 4 years ago...so, now when they both were sure of not only their own feelings but each other's, they knew no amount of time will change what they felt for the other.

Umrein lagi kehte hue, Do lafz the ek baat thi
Woh ek din sau saal ka, Sau saal ki woh raat thi
(It took years to say this, There were two words and one conversation
That one day seemed like a hundred years, That one night seemed like a hundred years)

.

.

With each passing day, both families saw how beautifully Arnav and Khushi merged in each other's lives! Arnav's care and respect for Khushi and her family was evident in his every small gesture. He made efforts to bond with Shashi, made time to talk with dadi, even to guide deepu in his studies when needed. The only person he couldn't get through much was with Garima, but he still was patient with her. And with khushi? His love for her was for all to see. His patience in times of her impulsive behavior, his care when she once fell sick with cold and fever, and most importantly, him waiting for her considering her family's wish slowly started removing Shashi and Khushi's dadi's doubts.

Similarly, Khushi had ensured to celebrate every single festival with Arnav's family. She had an advantage here that his family already knew and adored her. But until now, she was just their neighbor's relative. But now she visited them as their soon-to-be family! She decorated Arnav's house during Diwali, and took the role of a hostess during celebrations... And people soon started seeing her as a daughter-in-law of that house! Her bond with Arnav was beautifully visible too. She respected that he was an introvert man, and tried to adjust with his silent nature, learnt to understand his unsaid words. At the same time, she would sit by his side as he worked on his lecture notes or grading papers...just relishing his company.

And they did cherish every single moment they got to spend with each other, knowing how much they had yearned for this in the past few years when they had been closer yet apart. So, when Khushi and Anshu were going to watch any movies, Arnav voluntarily joined them or whenever Khushi was done early from work she would go to Arnav's college and wait for him. They both made efforts to spend more and more time together, to make up for the years they couldn't do so.

Kaisa lage joh chupchaap dono
Pal pal mein poori sadiyan bita dein
(How would it feel, if both of us
Secretly lived for centuries in every moment)