25.7 Sun Saaathiya - part 7

Khushi was dressed in a simple yellow saree when Arnav, his Dadi and his maa came to visit Gupta house that evening. After Shashi Gupta confirmed her approval for this meeting, they had come to Gupta house with mixed emotions, Arnav's dadi in happiness, his mother in apprehension and he himself in dilemma.

The reason was such.

After hearing about the talks of his marriage with Khushi, he had received a call from Aman, and tried to create a doubt in his mind,

"Come on, at least you don't say this. You know how I had longed to see one glimpse of Khushi for those 2 years, you know how much I liked no other girl but Khushi, you know how I was searching for her. And now that she is ready to give this a chance, why do you think it may not be a good idea? Even after knowing my feelings-"

"Your feelings, exactly." Aman said, cutting his words in between, "Arnav, listen to me please. And with a calm mind. I know you liked khushi before you even knew anything about her. I mean she was already in love with someone else then, right? And if Saahas had been around, you would have forgotten her."

Arnav didn't say anything. But his silence was speaking... he agreed that he wouldn't have looked at khushi if she was already with someone else. Heck, after knowing she was married, he already tried to keep distance. Only after knowing that saahas was missing or no more, he came forward to try to help her.

"Arnav, I think what you feel for her is just attraction and admiration. You admire her free-spirited nature that you observed when you first met her, you are attracted to her innocent beauty but that's all. And I don't think a marriage can be successful by these standards. When Khushi herself is coming with baggage, your feelings for her might also change and I don't want my friend to have an unhappy married life..."

Arnav wanted to deny his theory, to refute Aman's argument saying he truly loved khushi and it wasn't merely attraction. But he decided to hear khushi's thoughts on this marriage first and then say something.

If that was not enough, just before leaving for khushi's home, his mother Vasudha came to have a word with him. He was sitting by the window on his favorite recliner when he felt her presence beside him. Differences aside, he loved his mother and knew she also loved him to death. So, he waited patiently as she seemed to find the words to talk to him.

He suspected she was afraid of his reaction. And his family being afraid of him was the last thing he ever wanted. So, with an assuring smile he asked her, "Did you want to say something, Maa?"

Vasudha nodded and he could see her next words wouldn't be too nice, but she said nevertheless, "Arnav, tumhare papa ke jane ke baad maine dusri shaadi nahi ki. Aur mujhe pata hain tum isse naaraz bhi the. (I didn't get married after your father's death and I know you didn't like it). Mujhe bass ye darr hai ki tumhara khushi se shaadi karne ka faisla josh mein aa kar ya kuch saabit karne liye na ho (I am afraid your decision to marry khushi is not to be a rebel or to prove something)."

Arnav was sad that his own people were not getting him. First, Aman said it was an attraction, now his mother was saying he was being a rebel. Did they think he was a small kid who didn't know what were the implications of his decision?

Still, maintaining a calm voice, he said, "Maa, I know what I am doing. And Khushi has a chance to move on-"

"I know, you think everyone has a right to move on. I do not disagree. But beta, sometimes, people are bound by responsibilities that others might not have any idea about."

He looked at her, confused, "What do you mean, maa?"

Vasudha sighed. This wasn't a time to bring old, forgotten memories. So, she just kept her hand on his shoulder and said, "Just don't do anything without a rationale thought, ok?"