Chapter XL

Xi Jinwei finally ended the list of people with the last but not least name ," Mei Zhujie."

The audience clapped heartily for the representatives consisting of the three female and four male students.

The remaining students deflated as the names were over. Wang Linxue stared at Ling Zhirou who was smiling happily as stared ahead. She was tad sad she wasn't chosen but was also a  bit surprised.

She was chosen in the original novel with Ling Zhirou and she hoped it would be the same now. It seemed the way the story panned out really did change significantly. Maybe if the slots available were higher it were maybe eight or nine,maybe she would have been in.

" Thank you for your time everyone. Staff, contestants, judges and audience. Even if you weren't chosen, let each contestant remember that they proved their worth and their journey does not end here. There's more room for improvement.

Even then, let's not forget we still have college entrance exams to write in a few months and we should slack off in our studies." Xi Jinwei smiled trying to lift the sombre mood of the others and it worked like a charm as some smiled or giggled.

Those who weren't chosen left the stage for the winners who introduced themselves and talked about how they put time and energy into their training and what not.

" Linxue , you...." Long Yue looked hesitant as her friend approached. She didn't want to upset her. Even she was surprised she wasn't chosen.

" It's okay Yue, I'll just focus on my studies now. Besides, I don't want to work with Ling Zhirou if I can avoid it."

" Sure. That's right."

They watched the program end from backstage as everyone congratulated the winners. They were in the spotlight and would represent the school in a months time. She clenched her hands in frustration.

It was closing time for third years since the program ended early.
The camera crew around started to wrap the show up so it could air on TV later on.  She really hoped her mother would not watch it after her outright failure .

" Linxue." A deep voice called out to her.

Her eyes widened as she turned to the sound of the voice. She panicked when her heart started to race. Calm down for heaven's sakes!

" I'm going to look for Chi Minxia. See you later." Long Yue immediately retreated with a smirk on her face and she almost cursed at her. When she got behind Xi Jinwei she gave Wang Linxue a silly face.

" Xi Jinwei. " Where did he come from just now? She was still a bit shy around him.

" Are you okay? You weren't chosen." He stepped closer his face clouded with worry.

She sighed as her face falling," Yeah. I really tried my but, I-I don't want to talk about it right now."

She didn't want to at all. If she did, she would cry bitter. She really spent her time and energy practicing instead of studying and then wasn't chosen. She knew the frustration the other contestants had like she did but at least now she could focus on her studies.

"Mm. Well, even if you weren't chosen you were the brightest one out there today." He smiled cupping her chin to stare into her eyes thinking she still felt down for losing. He honestly thought she would be included in the representatives since she did so well.

Her words were stuck to her throat. His hand was a bit cold but it managed to make her heart speed up and her face warm.

He leaned forward and kissed her forehead lingering for a few moments. His hot breath made her tremble against as she clasped his shirt.

She raised her large eyes with her lips parted .When he met her eyes he looked at her lips before lifting his gaze back to her eyes.

Right now, their breaths matched each other while they stared into each other.

Someone cleared their throat and they broke away startled. The music teacher had an amused expression on his face as he raised his eyebrow.

" Teacher! We were just di...." Wang Linxue rambled quickly.

" Don't let me catch you both again. Puppy love is not permitted on school grounds. Is that clear?" He wagged his finger at both of them sternly. He didn't want to disturb her again after what happened earlier.

" Yes sir!" Wang Linxue said for both of them facing her teacher.

"Puppy love." Xi Jinwei muttered to himself after he left before grabbing her hand so she faced him once again.

"I'll see you outside after school. Let's go to this restaurant in town. They have the best Chinese dishes you would love." He spoke lowly staring into her eyes.

" How about we go somewhere else. It will be a surprise." Honestly she wanted to go out and explore instead of the restaurant. She was still a bit local at heart and wasn't into fancy things yet.

" Mm." He would go along with what ever she wanted. It would be their first date so he wanted her to be comfortable.

*************************

"Stop here!" She exclaimed as she sat in backseat of the car. Coming to a  stop the driver who was also the bodyguard got out to open the door but she already hopped out of the car. Xi Jinwei followed after her closing the door behind her. She seemed more excited than he did and this brought a smile to his lips.

" I'm going to find a better parking spot Young Master." The bodyguard informed but his Young Master was dragged away by her before he could answer.

"What do you want. Tell me ,any food you want." She stopped dragging him and asked as she titled her head with hands behind her back.

He opened his mouth to answer but she turned away to run towards and a food stall where smoke was being emitted. He sighed as he followed after her.

She coughed a bit as she ordered, " Uncle, can you please give me two sticks please?" Her eyes watered a bit from the smoke coming out.

" What are you doing? " He pulled her aside and shifted her away.

"I'm getting us some kebab ( Chuan'r ). It's made from lamb . You probably haven't tried it." She coughed. She had  stood directly in front of the smoke in a hurry.

" Stand here. " He warned. "I'll get the food." He walked to the store to collect the food paying before coming over to hand her the two sticks of kebab.

" This one is for you."  She stretched her hand out.

He looked hesitant. He hadn't eaten street food in a long time and wasn't sure he trusted eating food outside if it wasn't from a chef or restaurant.

" You don't like." She started to retract her hand back bit he grabbed the stick and nibbled into the food almost like a kitten testing it's food before eating it.

She smiled before eating hers as well. The taste explode on her taste buds as she bit into the meat. Street food was the best! She had not had some in a while now. How many years since she transmigrated?

" Let's try this next. " She pointed up ahead at another stall just after she had finished eating her kebab and Xi Jinwei didn't know whether to laugh or cry.