Chapter 27

Madam Zhou look at her askance so she continue

"madam, this is just my hobby! and the truth is, I will only help if I want! and if this goes out, a lot of people will ask me but what if I don't like? I don't like to be coarse! I will do what I love and nobody has the right to dictate about it"

Madam Zhou finally understand

"Okay, I understand! Thank you so much! This is really beautiful that makes me want to keep it instead!"

then she hands her a small lacquer box

"This is my payment, don't turn it down! it is my gift so I should pay for it! actually, I felt that this is not enough"

Ling Wei saw neatly arranged golden taels inside the box, her eyes widen

"madam this is too much!"

she can tell by the look that it's more than 1000 pieces!

"2000 is not enough! later I will send more so accept it okay?"

Ling Wei shook her head

"madam if you sent more I won't accept any request from you anymore!"

Madam Zhou saw her determined eyes and sigh

"Okay! I won't send more!"

she finally said but, she will remember this favor.

Ling Wei is finally relieved, she showed Madam Zhou how to use it and ask to take it after 3 days so nobody will suspect her.

Madam Zhou bought a lot of tea and happily leave.

after 3 days, Han Gu came then Ling Wei hand him the gift.

Ling Wei put it inside a lacquer box that she buy nearby.

she wants it to be as lowkey as possible.

Han Gu carefully carried the box like his life depends on it so Ling Wei laugh at her but he said

"you don't know how important the madam's gift to the empress dowager is! my life really depends on this gift!"

Ling Wei thought she mishear it

"you say, the empress dowager? isn't for Madam Zhou's mother?"

Han Gu look at her incredulous

"you don't know that Madam Zhou is empress dowager's daughter?"

Ling Wei shakily shook her head!

she really didn't know!

Han Gu sighed, then said

"I don't have time now but, tomorrow I will explain to you the imperial family tree and rules! so next time you won't be this clueless"

Ling Wei scratch her head, she is not interested in an imperial family's family, but she is not that clueless okay?

as long as it's from an imperial family, whatever happens even if the princess is married off, her title will remain!

except if they made a hideous crime, and the emperor will punish them by taking back their title!

that's how is it right?

Ling Wei become nervous because of this knowledge.

counting the time, they are almost 3 months in the capital.

the new semester is about to come.

she sigh and decided to just trust Madam Zhou.

Minister Zhou Bolin is there waiting for the gift as well, anyone can see how important the gift is.

Han Gu respectfully gave the box then retreated.

Madam Zhou sigh looking at the box, she understands that Ling Wei really wants to keep it low.

"Husband just check it for yourself! I am not exaggerating!"

Zhou Bolin glanced at his almost-bouncing wife because of excitement, so he open the box then his eyes almost popped out

"wife! this is?"

Madam Zhou giggles at her husband's reaction, her husband who is always calm and collected is now showing a different look

"Weiwei said that it is called a backflow incense burner! and we have to use incense cones for it! husband, what do you think? she even want me to teach her how to make incense cones but I refused! that family is just too simple and honest!"

Zhou Bolin finally calm down, it was good that only the chief servant and Han Gu stay, and they didn't seem to noticed their reaction because until now they are staring at the box.

and even he can't help but to keep glancing either.

the art is very beautiful!

"This is sandalwood?"

"replying to master it is indeed a sandalwood and it is the art called wood carving"

Zhou Bolin was startled then look at Han Gu

"just like what you are doing?"

Han Gu swallow then nod

"yes, master but, Miss Ling's hands are godly! even if I practiced for the rest of my life, I am sure that I can't make what she can! She was the one who taught us!"

Zhou Bolin nodded, he is not an expert but, he knows this art is incomparable! he wonder if can anyone surpass her?

Madam Zhou showed how it should be used.

because ever since they got married, what Madam Zhou's gift will be her husband's gift as well.

this is how harmonious their relationship is.

although Zhou Boyin accepts 3 concubines but, he didn't have any child with them.

he dearly loves his wife, but there is a circumstance that he cannot decline a concubine given to him but he made sure that none of them can give him offspring.

his 3 children are all born from his main wife.

Madam Zhou tells him that Ling Wei doesn't want to be named, Zhou Boyin is startled although he didn't understand but he can only nod.

"then madam why not give it ahead of time?"

Madam Zhou pause then ask

"master you mean before the banquet starts?"

Zhou Boyin nod

"of course, when you pay your respect, gift it! the most important thing is our filial piety!"

madam Zhou nod

"so even if Mother asks, no need to hide right? we cannot lie! deceiving the monarch is a crime"

Zhou Boyin nod, they cannot make any excuse or lie so it's better to say it honestly.

but just choose to say it secretly.

they still have to keep their promise!

and the empress dowager will understand and surely she will keep it hidden right?

as long as Madam Zhou explains it clearly.

"my mother is a benevolent person! and my mother will surely like Ling Wei! and the Ling family is very simple-minded"

"master, madam the truth is the Ling family is not aware of madam's maternal family! Miss Ling Wei was shocked silly when I said that it is for the empress dowager"