Chapter : 11

The warm rays of the late afternoon sun were gently caressing my face as I reclined on my baranda, lost in my thoughts

The warm rays of the late afternoon sun were gently caressing my face as I reclined on my baranda, lost in my thoughts. Suddenly, my peaceful reverie was interrupted by the sight of Miya, my housemaid, approaching me with a tray in her hand. As she came closer, I could see that there was a letter on it, bearing a fox wax seal stamp. With my word, she placed the tray on the table in front of me and left the room. I picked up the letter and observed it closely, noticing that it had been three days since I had last visited the guild. Despite my absence, here was a letter waiting for me, and the fox seal on it suggested it was from someone important.

[The seal depicts the back half of a majestic fox, sitting upright and facing towards the left. The fox's bushy tail is draped over its entire body, adding to its striking appearance. The entire seal is in a rich, deep orange color, which adds to the sense of mystery and intrigue.]

It's not like I said to do it so quickly. Then again, it's the Reynard guild that we are talking about.

I guess someone else is in a hurry...

[Dear precious customer

I want to invite you for a tea session in my humble den.
I have prepared the tea that you like the most.
Milk tea with cardamon.
I'm eagerly waiting for your arrival.
I hope to hear from you soon.

Renard]

I raised one eyebrow at his response and said, "Huh? Well, he is sly like a fox, just as his name suggests. Let's go to the den then." I smiled as the thought came to me. "Miya, please tell me to prepare the carriage. I'll go outside. Oh, and please prepare a hooded cloak."

'Strange though, a letter came in my name; moreover, it's from a famous guild yet untouched. Do they not suspect me? Well, whatever, all's good when the end's good.'

Before leaving the mansion, I took a moment to choose my outfit for the outing. I wanted to make sure I looked presentable but not overly formal. Finally, I settled on a simple yet elegant attire that would fit the occasion. As I stepped out of the mansion, I noticed the Duke standing near the carriage, waiting for me. His imposing figure and that sly expression made me feel a bit nervous, but I tried to hide it and approached him with confidence, 'I have been avoiding him from that night. As I thought, I still can't face him.'

I tried to act as natural as possible when he approached me near the carriage and asked, "Where are you headed to? Come, I'll give you a ride." I was about to decline, but he insisted, "I'm going to the palace; I'll drop you on the way," and offered me his hand.

After much consideration, I consented and traveled with him in the carriage, with the understanding that to not drag this matter any further.

Once again, he asked me the same question, 'So where are you going?' I sighed and responded, 'I'm going shopping.' I didn't want to bother him with my errands, but he seemed annoyed and insisted on accompanying me. I tried to convince him to go to the palace instead of coming with me, but he wouldn't listen. His eyes twitched as he replied, 'No, I'll come with you.'