Chapter : 20

Ivan

Stefan is the only friend Ivan ever had. His parents were fallen aristocratic, who died in a carriage accident when he was ten. The duke took him in since his father was someone he respected very much. When Stefan arrived at the dukedom, he was all gloomy and taciturn. He won't socialize with anyone, let alone talk. At first, Ivan thought that he was just an arrogant guy who was high in his pride. But as time passed on, gradually, he started to open up. After coming to know him - hey, this guy wasn't so bad after all.

After that, both of them were together, always like real brothers. As they grew up, they became each other confident. Although Stefan was terrible at swordsmanship, but he was terrific at handling the paperwork. So, the duke assigned him to the dukedom's official observers. As an assistant is does the finest work.

Unlike others, he doesn't try to flatter Ivan with pretty words. He is an honest guy who does not label people based on their status. He is genuinely a good guy and very attentive to his work, except for something he spouts nonsense occasionally, like right now.

Pushing his glasses against the bridge of his nose, Stefan states, "You know, you should change how you treat her before it's too late, buddy," speaking nonsense again.

"Do not interfere in my marriage life, Stefan. Did you get what I asked you for?" not heeding to his word, Ivan asked lazily.

Putting a bunch of papers on the table, "Here, although they are done with most of the work, the lack of mana is the biggest issue," Stefan handed some papers containing the tower's report. "And as you predicted, new monsters are showing in the forest lately. Their movements are hard to track because of the snow, and it's nearly impossible to ambush them. The local folks can't even go near the forest". Adjusting his glasses, he continues, "Things will be difficult if it remains like this. The emperor won't miss this chance to mess up the hierarchy system."

Ivan got up and sat adequately, checking those documents nonchalantly spoke, "The emperor is not the issue here. There's a bigger picture out there," putting those down, he stood up from his sit.

Putting his hand on his chin, in a thinking posture, Stefan said, "But, strangely enough, lately, all of your prediction seems always correct. How can you predict every situation so accurately?" with suspension, he said, "It's almost like you know the future," bringing his face closer to Ivan's.

Ivan pushed his face out of sight, "Get that face off of me; it's easy to guess this much if you are smart enough." A haughty smile craved on his lips,  "That is if you are", he remarks playfully.

"Yeah, yeah, you smarty pants. Curse you and that damn attitude of yours," Stefan said with ignorance, "Oh, I forgot, the maid said that your woman went out a moment ago," with a crafty smile on his face, he added, "I mean Mrs. Arya Dragun."