Chapter-6

Adhithya

         Yesterday, I took a day off to attend a meeting for my company. An admin assistant handed me the updated schedules of my classes when I settled into my seat, and I couldn't help but groan out loud when I saw that I had to teach workshop practicals for the first-year C-section right after the lunch break. I thought to myself, "Sutham ellam thoongi valivanga."

        After hearing my groan, my colleague asked, "What happened, Adithya? Is the schedule not to your liking?"

      I grunted and replied, "I have the workshop for freshers, and that too, right after the lunch break." He laughed, and I gave him an irritated look.

        I got ready for my first class. Today for the first three hours, I had classes scheduled for 3rd and 4th year students, and that left the last hour before lunch free for me. I finished off my classes, and, to avoid students crowding in the canteen, I had an early lunch along with a strong filter coffee so I could endure the next four hours. I was leaving for the first-year class a little bit earlier than usual. On the way, I ran into my colleague Santhosh near the first-year c-section classroom. He knew about my start-up, and we chatted randomly about our careers and other things. We planned to meet this weekend to catch up.

          I frowned when I saw the reflection of a girl in the window glass beside me who looked similar to my girl in purple. I just brushed it off, thinking that she was Anita's friend and she wouldn't be here.

         After the lunch bell, I entered the first year's classroom and took a seat in the chair placed at the front of the classroom. I could not see a few girls' faces in the third and fourth rows, but it was alright; I didn't want to bother much during the first introductory class, as my legs were killing me. I began by taking attendance and then proceeded to list out the rules to be followed in the workshop after introducing myself. " Hello guys, I am Aditya from the civil department, and I will be handling your workshop practicals. Let me summarize the code of conduct inside the workshop. I will not repeat this again, but regardless of your gender, if any of you breach the rules, my actions against them will be severe, and I will not let you off the hook easily."

I continued, "1. Uniforms are compulsory, and that includes leather shoes too. Safety shoes are better, but leather will do for you.

2. Girls should not wear any bracelets, bangles, long chains, or dangling earrings. Their hair should be properly tied, like a braid or ponytail; free hair or clipped hair are not allowed inside the workshop. Anything that can interrupt your work or might get stuck in the machines should not be worn. The same rules apply to boys too: no jewellery that can harm you or hinder your work in the workshop.

3. Nails should be clipped

        These rules are simple, and I won't allow anyone to enter the workshop if you fail to follow them even once. I will mark you as absent for the violation of codes. I hope you understand everything, and if you have doubts, you can ask me or please start introducing yourself.

        I waited for a second, and when no one asked me any questions, I pointed to a boy sitting at the front desk and said, "Start introducing yourself". Each student gave an introduction about them, and I stood distractedly thinking about what to do with them for the next 3 hours.

         My attention was snapped back when a girl in a yellow and green dress from the third row stood up to introduce herself. "I am Shakti Krishna, and I come from XYZ Girl's School. I chose to study architecture because I have an interest in design. My parents are into business, and I have one elder brother and sister." After she finished, she looked at me, and I motioned for her to sit.