Chapter-12

Sakthi

    After paying the bill, we all made our way to Thatha's home, where Dada was also residing with him. I took a deep breath and started my journey back home. I was filled with anticipation and hope, knowing that a new chapter of my life was about to begin. Both my parents' home and Thatha's home were just two streets away in one of the posh neighbourhoods of Chennai. Thatha's home was a massive duplex mansion surrounded by acres of garden and lawn. Thinking about it made me recall my old times there.

    During my early years, I could say that I spent the majority of my time here. Thatha and Dada were the ones who babysat me when I was a baby, whether it was in this house or my parents' house. I sprinted inside the house and called out, "Thatha! Enga irukeenga? Na vandhuten."

    Dada and Dad were carrying my luggage along with one more new bag just as I was about to move to Thatha's room. With a questioning glance, I raised an eyebrow at them both. In response to my nonverbal question, my dad raised his chin and said, "Idhu enaku." Nanum two weeks inga dha stay pana poren unkuda. Apo apo namma veetuku poitu varuven."

    My mother looked at him in disbelief and retorted, "Mamaanar kaasu la sapda kudadhu, mamanar kaasu venam, business venam nu soluvinga ipo avar veetla matum dera poduveengala?"

    My father wrapped his hands over my shoulder and answered my mom, "Na unga appa kasu, business venam nu dha sonen avaru venam nu solala. ipo en ponnu avarta dha iruka aparam inga dera podradhula enna thappu? enaku onum adhula problem ila. ne anga poi pasanga kuda iru. na en ponnu kudadha irupen ava kelambhara second varaikum."

    I could understand that my mom could not stay here by leaving the grandkids, my two other siblings, and their spouses behind, mainly because it might hurt them, specifically my sister, if both my parents chose to stay here with me. Also, she couldn't control me anymore and made me go with her now. I felt really bad for her situation, but I wanted to be peaceful until I left for Italy without any family drama like the last one.

    My thatha had come out of his room at this point. He patted my back and hugged me. Even though it was not painful, I exclaimed, "Thatha valikidhu."

    Thatha laughed in response to my yelling and said, "Dai muthukutty,vantia? Indha veetla unna tirupi paaka 3 years airuku. Ivlo nal ellam varama irukadhama. Unna indha veetla paakama enaku rombha kashtama irundhuchu. Enna prechana irundhalum thatha ta sollu elathaum na pathukuren ipdi yarum ilama engayo poi irundhukitu manasulaye vachu marugadha ma. Una pathuka dhaney nanum un dadavum irukom? enga rendu perukum una vita yaaru iruka da? unga paati ku aparam engalukku ellamey needhaney ma. Ini ne engala vitu engaum po kudadhu."

    My eyes pooled with tears. I looked at him, still staying in his embrace, and said, "Inum oru, one or two years, dha thatha, then I will settle here with you." After speaking for a while, we went to our respective bedrooms. My mom left with Dada, who would be dropping her off at my parent's home and would come back here. I got refreshed and fell onto the bed, immediately engulfed by sleep.

    For the next two weeks, there was no need for alarms, no one would wake me up, no commitments, and I could laze around the whole day without any care in the world. It was 11 a.m. when I woke up the next morning. I came down, and some of the helpers were working around the home. Dada and Dad were not anywhere in the vicinity, but I could hear voices from Thatha's office, though.

    I took a slight peek inside his office through the open door. He was in discussion with two formally dressed men. I decided not to disturb them and retreated quietly. I tried calling my dad, but he didn't pick up; he might be busy, and he would call me back once he became free.