Chapter - 61

Sakthi

Eventually, the ever-changing environment ceased to change, and I was surrounded only by blinding brightness. My body felt weighted down and motionless, like a statue.

The first thing that struck my attention was the jarring, beeping noise. I became vaguely aware of myself frowning. The sound eventually faded into the background, making it bearable. I felt a burning sensation in my throat and gulped, which was excruciating. I darted my tongue out to moisten my lips, which had become dry and chapped and I bit my lower lip out of habit.

Someone freed my lips from my teeth, called my name and patted my cheeks. I attempted to move the hand that was patting me. I was relieved when I could feel my hands moving and it no longer felt like an immovable stone. I tried to open my eyes to witness my moving hands, but my eyelids were heavy. I was sick of reliving my worst fear over and over again in this intolerable environment. Tears began to flow, and I heard myself murmuring, 'Jithu'.

I felt suffocated in this dreary place, inhaled a lungful of air, and pried open my eyes with all of my strength. At first, I felt groggy and had blurry vision. I saw the silhouette of Dada leaning over me and stroking my head gently. He kissed me on the forehead. His eyes began to moisten. "Muthey."

Sobbing, I inquired, "Jithu enga dada?"

"Vandhruvan ma iru doctor ah koopudren."

"Illa nee first Jithu va koopdu, na ipovey pakanum. I saw him getting shot at. Nee enta edhum maraikiria? Avan epdi irukan?"

He took out his phone and dialled someone to console me, but he ended the call when I began to hyperventilate. "Vara solren da ma. Nee konjam amaidhia iru stress agadha."

I was in a state of panic and was unable to hear anything else. " Nee edhum maraikiria pa? Edhadhu aiducha avanuku?" He hung up the phone and pressed the call button for the nurse.

The machines around me started making more noise, and the darkness clouded my mind and vision. I was about to pass out when I noticed Jithu rush into the room. I exhaled with relief and surrendered to the darkness.

When I regained consciousness, I found Dada sitting in the chair beside my bed. He smiled as he kissed my head. " Nee rombha bayamuruthitey iruka da enna. Na rombha bayandhuten ipdi unna paka, inimey boduguard illama engaum poga vidamaten."

I gulped to moisten my dry throat and smiled softly before saying, "Un sotha mothama alikama na epdi sethupoven."

"Appo theendhu pogadha alavukku na sambharichitey irupen." He said it with a chuckle.

I took a deep breath and asked, "Dada Jithu enga."

Doctors arrived precisely at that moment. "Vandhruvan da, Doctor pathutu, official phone call onnu pannitu varenu ponan. Idho ippo vandhruvan but first check pannatum muthey. " Dada moved away to make room for the doctor to examine me.

For me, those ten minutes felt like an eternity. When the doctors were satisfied with their findings, they left, nodding at my father and asking him to meet them later.

When the door opened a few minutes after the doctors left, I turned to see who had stepped into my room. Of course, only my man had the audacity to burst into my room like this. I smiled broadly and closed my eyes, relieved that my man was still alive.

My lips trembled as I remembered the ordeal we had been through, and tears streamed down my cheeks. I opened my eyes to take him in; his eyes were red and puffy, with dark circles. I frowned in confusion as I noticed his thick beard.