Chapter -34

Sakthi

It was late afternoon when I arrived in Milan, Italy. Getting out of the airport took me one hour. I had pre-booked a taxi already; hence, a driver with my name card awaited me at the arrival gate. I settled into the backseat after loading my luggage and gave the driver my drop-off location on my way out of the airport.

It took nearly an hour to get to the city from the airport. I called Dada and Mom on my way. I texted Sakthivel, ramya and my siblings. Once I checked in with everyone, I began to see through the window as we approached the city. It looked magnificent in certain parts, and the city had many historic buildings.

After the driver dropped me off, I went into the apartment I had rented. Dada suggested renting an apartment because I am a vegetarian and the vegetarian options in the college hostel were limited. Through a friend, he rented a loft-style apartment near my college with easy access to public transportation. The apartment has a large living room, a small kitchen with a breakfast counter, a large bathroom with a bathtub on the ground floor, and an open-style bedroom on the first floor. Dada has arranged for food to be delivered daily by his Indian friends here, as well as for someone to clean the apartment twice a week.

As Dada had instructed, I texted Ganapathy uncle after entering the apartment. He replied that he would be coming to my apartment this evening. He was Dada's friend, and he would deliver me food from his restaurant and arrange for a cleaner for the apartment. I ate the croissants I bought at the airport and fell asleep after a hot shower.

Uncle Ganapathy arrived in the late evening, accompanied by an Italian woman. He stated that she would come twice or three times a week to clean the apartment and that he would deliver food from his restaurant every day. He asked me to text him my food preferences two or three hours before delivery. He left me with the helper after giving me the chapathi he had brought for me and introducing me to her.

The Italian woman could not understand me when I spoke to her in English. Then I used the Translate app to communicate with her. Isabel was her name. Her salary had already been negotiated, and Ganapathy uncle had informed me of it. Except for Sunday, I requested that she come in the evenings once every three days. She wished me luck and then bid me farewell.

I looked up cellphone and internet service providers and found their nearest locations. I went outside and took the metro to the shop. The climate is pleasant this evening. It is neither too cold nor too hot. After getting myself a new number and paying money for broadband service, I went to my apartment. I have one day before the course begins. I went to bed relatively early.

The next morning, Ganapathy uncle sent one of his employees to deliver both my breakfast and lunch. After having breakfast, I arranged my belongings inside the wardrobe; otherwise, I would have been living off of the suitcase for weeks. The internet service provider arrived to install the modem. After they left, I went for a walk around my neighbourhood to look for nearby supermarkets and shops before returning for lunch. I got messages from, you know who?

Unknown: Is everything good? Settled into your new hostel?

Me: Yes

Unknown: Why haven't you messaged me after settling in at the hostel?

Me: Why should I ?🙄

Unknown: I was expecting your messages from yesterday and waited for them until early morning.

Me: Nee yaaru? Yen man enakaga nee wait pannanum?

Unknown: Thimira? pesu d nalla pesu. Enna pathaley nee vai adachi pora madri unna pannanum. Pathukuren.