Chapter - 9

Adithya

Going to the canteen in the last hour of college has become routine for me since last week, all just to catch a glimpse of her. She came almost every day during that hour. I enjoyed watching her cute expressions, mannerisms, and laughs; it automatically brought a smile to my face. Up until now, I was certain that she had not noticed me observing her from afar, both on the bus and in the canteen. Madhan will be back next week, but I already knew quite a bit about her, so there was no urgent need to get information from him.

I can't say that I missed her during the weekend, but regardless, I was eagerly looking forward to seeing her on Monday. I traded the last hour of class for a third year with another lecturer in the morning to have the chance to visit the canteen. However, she had not reached the canteen yet. I had been waiting around an hour so far. Ten minutes before the final bell, I rushed towards the bus after collecting my things from the staff room, and there I saw her. Maybe iniki time irundhrukadhu canteen poga. Would she feel hungry? Has she eaten something? Nalaiki afternoon workshop class iruku apo afternoon full a enkudadha irupa.

The next morning, I knew her department uniform was beige and black, so I chose to wear beige pants in the hope of matching her if she wore her department uniform. I was anxious as well as happy that I would have her near me today. The morning hours flew by, and it was already lunchtime. I had an early lunch and went to the workshop 20 minutes ahead of my schedule. Idha vida sikiram pona kevalama irukum. 🫣

I stood at the entrance, and slowly students began to trickle in. I directed them to take a seat at the benches placed at the back of the workshop. Inum kanum. Just as I was about to go to the back of the workshop where other students had been waiting, she entered with a boy just a few seconds after their lunch break had ended. I checked my watch and motioned for them to come inside. I walked behind them to the back of the workshop. Jeans and boots la naladha iruka, kuda oru backpack vera dora madri. Dress codes violate panala while at the same time not sticking to the dress code too. Nallaruku onnum solla venam. 😍

Once everyone had settled into their seats, I couldn't stop myself from teasing her when Kanmani was gulping water. Then I explained everything they needed to do and allotted their tasks. After everyone started their work, I started circling all their work tables, observing their progress, and answering any questions they had. I stood at a table beside hers and observed her frequently. Pavam, first day of carpentry, shoulders valikidhu pola apo apo shoulders pudichitu nikira, and she was sweating profusely. Quietly, I walked over to the industrial-sized fan at the corner of the workshop and adjusted it to blow air in her direction.

Some of the students finished early and sat at the backend. I told them they could leave the workshop if they wished to and bring in their completed observation notebooks next time to the workshop or my cubicle during breaks.

As for my kanmani ipodhaiku mudikkamaata, I waited at an adjacent table and spoke with some of the boys who had been working on sheet metal tasks. After the boys left, I diverted my attention towards Kanmani. She was standing near Saravanan, and he had her fingers in his hand, with a chisel hovering over them.

Why the hell was he holding her hands and having a chisel over them? I calmed myself and approached them. I could see her becoming more nervous upon seeing me. He asked with a smirk," Neenga nails cut pananum nu solala nu solranga, en sir solala?"

He released her hands when he noticed my gaze on their hands on the work table. Before I could give him a response, Kanmani blurted, "Ila ila sir, I never told him that I was just apologizing for forgetting it, even though you told us in class. I would cut it before the next class. I am really sorry; I forgot."