Chapter-26

Sakthi

Two and a half months had passed since the symposium. My siblings returned from their honeymoon. I found myself spending more time at Thatha's home. I had been practising at the college for the upcoming competition in the cultural event of JJCET, which was just a few days away. I was participating in both the solo and duet categories. For the duet, I chose "Urugudhey Marugudhey," and for the solo, I selected "Kannalaney" from Bombay.

Only one more month remained before the practical exams for this semester. Teachers were conducting classes vigorously, and I was swamped with practise, studying, and assignments. We attended another cultural event two weeks earlier and performed well, securing third place. The professor had become busier, and his timing was erratic. He often messaged me while I was asleep, either in the early morning or at midnight. It became challenging for me to keep up with his schedule, so I responded whenever I could. I felt that our once smooth and easy-going friendship had lost its lustre, or whatever it was. I didn't have the time to dwell on it anymore.

Nevertheless, we frequently saw each other in the canteen and rode the bus together daily, except for the occasional days off or when Jithu dropped us home. I always informed him about my plans, and he did the same when he had to take leave or there were changes in his schedule. The habit of sending me chocolates through Janani Akka remained unchanged. I couldn't understand why he couldn't give them to me directly. Regardless, I found myself growing closer to Janani Akka compared to the professor now. I learned about her boyfriend, who was also a student at JJCET and a friend of Arjun.

As Arjun mentioned during the symposium, somehow he got hold of my number through someone and began texting me. Although I never replied or answered his calls, he was persistent in trying. He sent me random messages and continuously invited me to coffee, restaurants, concerts, or various other outings, creating an endless list of invitations to meet.

I refocused on my assignment work from my distracted thoughts. Once again, my mobile notification disrupted my concentration.

91 72***8**02 : Hi Sakthi, how are you?

Me: Hi, who is this?

91 72***8**02 : I would like to invite you to my birthday party at my residence. I have attached the location for you. I would like to pick you up; you just have to say yes.

I grew suspicious, thinking that this was Arjun messaging again from a new number.

Me: Who is this?

91 72***8**02 : 😍 Friend.

Me: Doesn't this friend have a name?

91 72***8**02: Is a name necessary to speak with someone? No, I do not believe so.

Me: This will be the last message from me if you do not reveal your identity. Goodbye.

91 72***8**02 : Arjun😎

I didn't respond further to anything.

91 72***8**02 : Sakthi....

91 72***8**02 : You are ignoring me like always. See, this is the reason I didn't tell you my name.

91 72***8**02: I'd be very happy if you came to my birthday party. It's three days after my college's cultural event on **/05. Please don't dishearten me; I'm really looking forward to meeting you at my home.

I ignored him and continued with my assignments. After a while, I had dinner and lay in bed. I received a call from the professor after a long time. I connected my headset and answered.