Chapter 16

Sakthi

The first-semester holidays were always shorter compared to the even-semester breaks. We had just about two weeks of vacation, and college resumed after Pongal. I had no particular plans for these two weeks other than sleeping, eating, and generally wasting away my time on a web series.

The next day, my sister would be home by this time. For some unknown reason, she often appeared aloof towards me, alternating between being loving sometimes and treating me like a competitor sometimes, even though my parents highly respected my brother and sister's opinions and treated them better as adults or their equals, while I was often viewed as an immature, incapable child. I didn't mind much, though, since I was easy-going and grateful for what I had and what they had provided me.

I suspected that my sister might have felt upset and became resentful towards me because I had taken her place as the baby of the family, but I was not entirely sure of the reasons behind her behaviour. It made me awkward at times, and I did not know how to communicate with her.

I was somewhat closer to my brother than her, although he often played the role of a father figure rather than a friendly sibling. I could be certain that he does not dislike me in the same way that my sister does. All that aside, I adored my brother and sister, followed them around like a puppy, and looked up to them from the time I could walk.

My mom stayed at home that day, taking me along with her for grocery shopping and to buy sweets and snacks. I also bought some for myself to stock up on some items for my holidays. In the evening, with our friends, we had a watch party for a Korean series and stayed up past midnight.

The following morning, Shri arrived around 6 a.m. My mom woke me up upon her arrival, and I went to the living room where Shri entered at the same time. After greeting Mom and Dad with hugs, she hugged me and asked about my exams and college. Then she retired to her room, and I took that as an opportunity to catch some more sleep.

When I woke up, everyone had gathered in the living room. I went directly to my dad, sat on his lap, and rested my legs on my brother, who sat beside my dad. My mom turned her gaze toward me and said, "Sapdu, late aiduchu ellam table la dha iruku. We all ate already." I hummed in acknowledgement and went to get my breakfast. Returning with a plate in hand, I sat cross-legged on the coffee table, kept the plate on it, and began to eat. Shri shook her head, saying, "Nee maravey ilaya? Inum ipdi table mela okandhu saptutruka chinna baby madri? Olunga poi dining table la sapdu, illa at least sofa la okandhu sapdu d."

Without turning my attention away from my food, I replied, "No, idhu dhan kaal madichu okandhu sapda vasadhia iruku. Ipidi saptadha healthy nu naraya doctors solranga poi instagram paru po." She left it at that.

My dad asked my brother, "Siva,epo kalyanam panradha plan la iruka? unaku pannitu Shri ku panalam ila rendu perukum sendhu pannidalam. Naanga poi Kayal veetla epo da pesuradhu? andha ponnu kita ketu sollu. Oru nalla naal pathu poitu vandhralam."

"Appa na avata avanga veetla pesa solren,ava inum sollala avanga veetla, konjam bayapadra ava appa ku. Ava pesinadhum neenga poi pesunga". My brother responded.

"All right, ana late pannama sikiram pesa sollu. Pesinadhum sollu naanum ammavum first poi pesurom aparam periappa, thatha ellam kutitu poitu pesikalam." My appa said

My father turned to Shri and said, "Shri ma, unaku maapla pakalam nu irukom, unaku yaradhu pudichi irundha sollu ma avangala paathu pesi pakalam."