Chapter -28

Sakthi

Asking me not to go, Arjun started talking to me incoherently. Jithu was wearing a t-shirt underneath it, as usual, so he gave me his shirt to wear. Suddenly, the door opened, and a police official entered the room. I hurriedly put on the shirt.

"En ma satta kilinjiruku?" The police constable inquired. "Indha pasanga edadhu pannangala?"

"Illa sir, Pogama stop panna top ah pudichu iluthapo side la stitch pirinjiduchu," I denied his allegations quickly.

"Ingalam en ma varinga? Rendu ponnunga dha irukeenga ithana pasanga nadula. Ellam pasagalum bhodhai ah dha irukanga. Ipdi inga unna pethavanga paatha evlo vedhana paduvanga." He advised.

When I explained to him why we had come here, he inquired, "Velia nikkidhey andha ponnadha kupda vandhia? Appo room la enna panreenga ?"

I held the phone and the bag up for him to see. "Idho, idhu avanga bag and phone. Idhu eduka dha ulla vandhom sir."

He recommended, "Sari keela inspector iruparu, neenga poi nadandhadha sollitu kelambhunga."

Jithu questioned, "Enachu sir, edhuku police vandhrukeenga?"

The constable answered, "Indha veetuku opposite veetla irundhu inga drug party nadakudhunu complaint vandhuchu, adha police and narcotics department la irundhu vandhrukom. Neenga renduperum keela poi inspector ah parunga ponga, ingalam irukadhinga sikiram kelambhunga."

We went downstairs, where Sakthivel and Janani Akka were already speaking with the inspector. We also joined them and requested that he send us because we had only come to pick up Janani. He refused to budge because Janani Akka had consumed drugs and was still high from them. He asked us to contact our parents and have them come and get us. I called Dada and informed him of the situation. He assured me that he would be there as soon as possible with a lawyer.

Without any other option, Jithu resorted to calling his mom, Sakthivel reached out to his parents, and Janani Akka distanced herself from us before making a call. The narcotics and police officers swooped in and seized the cake and brownies, which Janani claimed were drugged, as well as the drugs in the possession of a few guys. After a thorough search of the premises, they directed everyone out of the house and into a police van.

The professor was the first to arrive at the scene. Engaging in a conversation with the inspector by the house's entrance, he handed his phone over for a conversation with someone on the other end. After the call, the inspector returned the phone, and the professor signalled for Janani Akka to come. After a heated exchange, he walked away without a glance in our direction, clutching his sister's hand tightly. Feeling a pang of hurt, I started to make my way towards the professor.

But I came to a halt when Dada arrived, accompanied by his lawyer, just as the professor was leaving the house. Dada spoke with the inspector and handed over his business card. After a brief discussion, he called out to me, "Muthey, polama?"

I hesitated. "Dada, what about Jithu and Sakthi? Shouldn't we wait for them too?"

"Of course, papa. I've informed Sakthivel's father. Jithu's mom called Kayal and Siva as well, so I assured them that I would handle the situation and bring you all back home with me. Rendupethaum poi kootitu va da polam," he assured. After conveying this, he strolled away to speak further with other officials alongside his lawyer. I gestured for Jithu and Sakthivel to join us to go home.