Chapter-17

Sakthi

Ten days passed more quickly than I had hoped. I discovered that both my father and Siva Anna had conducted a thorough background check on Harish Anna even before he came home. My father sent me away with him under the pretext of looking around the house to discuss his suitability for marriage with my mom and brother. Only after their discussions did they ask him to call them after his trip to talk further about the marriage.

During these ten days, I spent my days between Thatha's home and Mom's home. My Periappa, Thatha, and Dada were also informed about Harish, and my parents invited them to meet Harish Anna at home when he returned from Trichy.

Harish Anna was supposed to come home this evening. My mother insisted that Shri wear a saree, while I opted for a pair of jeans and a short top. Dada, Thatha, Periappa, Periamma, Ramya, and Umesh Anna arrived early, before Harish Anna's scheduled arrival.

We all gathered in the living room, eagerly awaiting Harish Anna's arrival. I hoped Shri Akka had informed him about the gumbhal of people waiting at home to meet him, as meeting so many new faces at once might make him overwhelmed. But he might be good with people, unlike me. My thoughts were interrupted when Harish Anna finally arrived.

My dad introduced him to everyone, and everyone took their seat in the living room. With all the seats occupied, I found myself perched on the armrest of a single-seater sofa next to Umesh Anna. He pulled me onto his lap.

Thatha wasted no time in getting to the point and said directly to Harish Anna, "Thambi, we are happy and agree with your proposal for our Shri. When do you think we can plan the wedding? Please share your plans with me so that we can reach an arrangement. Actually, we are thinking about marrying you two soon."

Harish anna responded to Thatha, " Na ipo leave pottu dha thatha vandhruken. Shri told me last week that she wants to settle in Chennai. So I will need at least 3 to 6 months to resign and wrap up things in London. Once I am back in Chennai, I have plans to either work or start something on my own using the money I received from recent property sales. So, anything is fine with me; we can either get married before I leave for London, we can go to London together and stay there until I wrap things up there, or we can have the wedding once I return. Either way works for me."

Thatha inquired further: " Kalyanathuku aparam neenga rendu perum stay panna inga orey veetla illama, thani floor or pakkathu pakkathu veedu adhu madri na konjam better nu sonninga nu Lakshmi sonna, indha veetu maadi ah full veeda convert panna ok va pa ungalluku angaye stay panna kalyanthuku aparam? en na ungalukkum family oda iruka madri irukum, nalaiki kolandha nu vandha pathukavum alunga irupanga neenga rendu perum thania kashtapada theva irukadhu, privacy also irukum thania madila irundha."

Harish Anna agreed, " Enaku ok dha thatha. Na thaniavey valandhuten, peria family oda onna irukanum nu enakkum asadha, so no problem. But I would like to take responsibility for the expense it takes to convert it."

Thatha patted his back. "Adhellam aparam pesikalam pa, neenga edha pathium kavalapadama, kalyanam epdi enga pananum nu rendu perum pesunga, mathadhu ellam naanga paathukurom. Sari pa, We can have the wedding once you return to Chennai. So we will have enough time to finish the renovation. Appo ippo namma kalayanathuku date and place matum fix pannikalam so we can start the wedding preparations simultaneously. "

Harish Anna agreed with the plan, and everyone started discussing the wedding arrangements according to the couple's wishes.

During dinner, I sat across from Harish Anna, with Shri beside Dada and Thatha. When the kesari was served, I began picking cashews from my plate and eating before moving on to Dada's and Thatha's plates as well.