Chapter - 46

Sakthi

Upon my return to my flat, Jithu appeared visibly upset, with puffy eyes and a pale complexion. He left without saying a word when I tried to speak with him. When Dada returned home, he told me about the conversation he had with Jithu while I was with the professor. I wanted to talk to him and clarify certain things when he got back, so I tried calling and texting him, but he did not respond. I assumed he would return after pacifying his anger. But as the night fell, I became increasingly panicked and tried to contact him nonstop.

I gave up trying only after IVRS's language was switched to Telugu. My doubt was confirmed when his chithappa confirmed Jithu's arrival in Hyderabad after Dada contacted him to ask about Jithu.

It would be inappropriate to say what I wanted to tell him over the phone. So I booked the next available flight to Hyderabad on February 14 morning. Even though Dada did not want me to leave with a fractured leg, I assured him that I was fine and would be back in a day because I had a submission, and asked him to stay there. I scheduled my return flight for the 16th afternoon.

I arrived on the 15th, early in the morning. Dada obtained his address from Jithu's chitappa when I requested it. When I got to his house from the airport, it was locked from outside. When I asked the next-door neighbour, they gave me the key as his uncle informed them of my arrival. 

After locking myself inside his home, I took a bath and waited for him to get home. I called him several times and texted him too. He did not respond, however.

With no other way to contact him, I asked Dada for Jithu's Chithapa number. When I spoke with him, he informed me that Jithu had left for a murder investigation after attending a meeting at the commissioner's office and might be in his station that morning.

His uncle asked me to wait at home, but when I refused to stay and instead wanted to go to the station, he assured me that he would notify the station to let me into his room.

I took a taxi to the station. When I arrived, I was directed to his room. I waited until 2 p.m. before exiting the room and asking about him. I approached the nearest person working on a computer and asked, "Bhai, ACP Abhijith kab station aaenge?" ( Bro, When will ACP Abijith come to the station?)

"Mujhe nahin pata madam, voh normally par shaam ko aaenge (I don't know, madam, usually he comes in the evening.)

"Thanks, bhai."

"Madam, kya aap lanch mein kuchh khaana chaahatee hain?" (Madam, do you want to eat something for lunch?)

Nai bhai, I will wait for him. kya mujhe thoda paanee mil sakata hai? (Can I get some water, please?).

I refused, hoping that Jithu would arrive soon.

"Thanks, bhai."

He asked someone to bring a bottle of water. I took it from him and continued to wait for him. I waited until 8 p.m. I felt hungry because I had not eaten anything other than the meal provided on the flight.

I was fed up with waiting and decided to return to his house. I wrote him a letter after noticing an empty envelope and paper on his desk. I marked the envelope "urgent" and placed it on his desk beneath a paperweight.

While I waited for my cab, I stopped by a nearby convenience store and purchased a few packs of biscuits, chips and some water. After freshening up, I rummaged through his kitchen, and when I could not find anything to eat, I ate the snacks I had brought and fell asleep on his couch in the living room while waiting for him.