11. The wish of a mother.

"Assalamualaikum," Laila greeted as she entered the house with bags of groceries.

"Wa alaikumussalam Laila. Welcome back." Fadilat came over excitedly and took some bags from her. They both kept them in the kitchen and Fadilat kept smiling, zoning out. 

"Ma'am Fadilat, are you okay?" Laila asked suspiciously. "You've been smiling strangely. Look, I bought these to make Khaleef's favorite food am I am sure Ameerah will love it too." She added but Fadilat shook her finger at her. 

"I am afraid you can only cook for Khaleef today because Ameerah just left." She said and Laila exclaimed, "She left? Oh, why didn't she wait for me." 

"Haha. Don't worry Laila," Fadilat laughed. "Guess why I am so elated today?" 

"Uhm. I'm old and I can't think much," Laila replied. Fadilat waved her hand and said, "Khaleef is getting married." Laila's eyes widened and they shouted together like teenagers. "Seriously. When? I mean, how?" 

"Calm down Laila." Fadilat curled her lips. "In case you have been curious as to why Ameerah was in this house. It wasn't just because I was helping her but because my son showed interest in the young lady and now that he needs a wife, they reconciled. No time to waste, I will soon be a mother-in-law!" 

"And a grandmother soon!" Laila affirmed happily. Fadilat's eyes shone too. "I wonder if it will be a boy or a girl?" 

"And have the beautiful eyes of Ameerah or Khaleef's cute nose," Laila added dreamily. 

"Oh, I can't wait." Fadilat chuckled.

…..

Fadilat asked Abdul to take Zahra home and they were currently driving back. The car was awkwardly quiet. Zahra seemed to have forgotten about any agreement and was only thinking of meeting her family. 

"I really wish that you were leaving our lives forever," Abdul suddenly broke the silence. 

Zahra raised her eyebrows and scoffed," Who do you think enjoys seeing your face or hearing your gruesome voice?" 

"Don't be so excited as I can change my decision at any time. I just had to make my mother happy." He hissed. 

"Well, good for you." Zahra eyed him.

"Just shut up." He added and focused on his driving sternly. 

"You started talking," Zahra mumbled but he didn't reply. The car became quiet and her pores calmed down when she saw the familiar street. It wasn't far from where the two met. Abdul parked on the side road and spoke, "Get down." 

Zahra didn't respond and opened the car. She gazed at the simple house before her and her hands became sweaty. Before she took more steps, a shout came from the other side of the road. 

"Sister Ameerah!" A teenage boy in a white hood and jeans, carrying a school bag shouted. He was originally gloomy as he walked back from school but after sighting the familiar figure, even though her face was covered, he knew she was his 'lost' sister. 

Zahra beamed and turned around. "Hassan!" She waved her hand. Hassan came running forth and enveloped her in a big hug. 

"Sister Ameerah, I really missed you so much. Alhamdulillah you are back." He sniffed, hugging her tightly.

"Okay, Hassan. Don't break my bones." Zahra smiled wrly stroking his hair. 

"Pardon me." Hassan giggled and pulled back. "Mother will be elated to see you." 

Coincidentally, the door to the house opened and a slim woman bearing a resemblance to both siblings walked feebly out. Wearing a coat and a veil wrapped around her head, Hazaan looked sick and fatigued but hope was in her eyes when she heard the shouting from outside. 

Zahra's eyes became wet immediately after seeing her frail mother. 

"Anne!" She called out. Hazaan broke into tears and opened her arms as her daughter ran to her and hugged her tightly.

"Ameerah, my Ameerah. Why would you disappear just like that? My heart will give up if anything happens to you." She cried. 

Zahra felt more guilty and rubbed her mother's back. "Please forgive me, Anne. I am so sorry. I should've been wiser." 

"No more tears. Alhamdulillah you are back. Alhamdulillah." Hazaan shushed her and they stayed like that for minutes. Hazaan pulled back and Zahra pouted, looking at her with puppy eyes. "No more tears, Ameerah. Come inside." Hazaan smiled and pulled her daughter's hand. Hassan grinned and joined them in. 

Meanwhile, Abdul who was inside the car was frowning. He didn't leave immediately and watched the small family reunite. Zahra never mentioned her father, which likely means only her mother was alive, just like him. But the woman looked sick while her brother was still young. Does that mean that she is the breadwinner of the family? Is she still a bad person? 

He pursed his lips and shook the thoughts off his mind. He still needed to go back to the office.

Inside the house,

Zahra helped her mother sit while Hassan rushed to get them water. The young lady was back to her nonchalant countenance but Hazaan was used to it now. Zahra would change to amiable or serious anytime she wants. The girl became like that when her father left them. 

"Ameerah, where have you been?" Hazaan asked seriously."Firdaus said that you got a job." 

"Yes, Anne." Zahra nodded. 

"And you didn't care to tell me?" Hazaan frowned. "We just spoke for a while and after you went up to your room, I heard some noises and you were gone. What sort of 'job' did you go out for?" 

Zahra sighed and looked at her mother.

"Anne. A very nice company called me up to come quickly that a job offer was available. I couldn't let it go, so I rushed over. Who knew that the job would take me to another town and I wasn't with my phone, got tired, and couldn't contact you." Ya Allah, another lie. 

Hazaan furrowed her brows and clasped Zahra's palms. 

"Another job Ameerah? What about your other jobs?" She asked and Zahra's brows jumped. "When you went missing, five people called me, all looking for their employee. Two restaurants, a store, a market, and a coffee shop. How many jobs have you been straining yourself with?!" Coupled with worry of her daughter missing, after finding out about what she has been going through, Hazaan felt pain and guilt. The young lady hid so well. 

"If I don't work Anne, who will take care of you?" Zahra asked back and pointed at Hassan who had his head down. "Who will cater for his education? Anne, you are sick. I can't watch you like this. Never. I have to do what's in my power to help this family always." 

"But that doesn't mean you should torture yourself Ameerah." Hazaan cried. "You are a woman and just nineteen! Ya Allah! Please think about yourself too." 

Zahra blinked away the tears that were threatening to fall from her eyes. She wasn't willing to show her mother any weakness. 

"Don't worry Anne. I have a better job now and I will drop the others. You won't have to worry too much anymore, In Sha Allah." She said and pulled her hands out. Hazaan closed her eyes as Zahra walked to her room. Hassan pursed his lips and hugged his mother's arms. That's how his sister was. No weakness and always straightforward. He wished he was the eldest so that he could be the one to take care of the family but his sister forced him to focus on school and never try working, or she would never forgive him. Hazaan smiled at Hassan and patted his palm. 

Zahra closed the door behind her and hot tears stained her face. She wiped them off quickly and her face twisted. Rushing to the drawer beside her bed, she opened a box and took out a syrup. She opened the cap and drank a cup immediately. Zahra closed her eyes as she rubbed her chest. 

What's your favorite part of this chapter?😃