12. Hidden pains.

The pain gradually subsided as she sat on her bed. When she was admitted to the hospital, doctor Hebrew was luckily there and he added a heart pain drug to her drugs which had been keeping the ache she felt away. It lasted till yesterday, but just the surprises she felt today made her condition kick in again. She thanked Allah that she got home now and took her syrup.

Zahra held the box in her palms. There were three packs of tablets and syrup. These were the drugs she had to take to prolong her weakened heart to be able to reach those six months.

She still vividly remembered when it all started. It was two years ago after her father left, her mother fell sick and she had to seek a job quickly. Zahra ended up working in different places and she used to feel the pain in her heart. It then happened that day, when she fell on the road in front of a car.

The driver was a doctor and he rushed her to the hospital. When the attack happened, Zahra felt a grip in her heart like it was dead for sure but was surprised she was still alive.

Doctor Hebrew first calmed her down before breaking the bad news to her. She had a heart disease that was weakening slowly and needed attention immediately. Zahra couldn't afford any medication then but Doctor Hebrew decided to help her, giving her the drugs as a loan, as he said.

With every stressful work, Zahra's heart condition became weaker. She still took her drugs but early this year, the pain became unbearable and she returned to the hospital again.

She couldn't hear or see, her breathing became unusually slow, and her limbs became jelly. After telling Doctor Hebrew her symptoms, he did another scan and found out that her heart had further weakened and that it was due to failure. The only solution was to have a heart transplant before her heart failed.

Zahra was startled by the news and asked how much longer she had. It was less than a year, her days in this world were counted. It just so happened that they had debts on their heads and her mother was frail. Zahra hid everything as she couldn't risk her mother's life.

She couldn't agree to the surgery and left the hospital with the new drugs. At least, she can try what she can do for her family for these few months she had.

Zahra might have shown boldness before Doctor Hebrew, but what young lady won't feel the pain of death looming over her? She locked herself in her bathroom and cried her heart out that day. It led to a severe heartache and she had to take her syrup.

Zahra was determined to pay Miss Rezan's debt, at any cost. She still remembered what the woman did last week. Zahra forgot her bag at home and rushed back to take it when she saw Miss Rezan shouting at her mother on the street. She threatened to take down their only house if she wasn't paid. Such humiliation was something Zahra didn't want her mother to face ever again.

Hassan would soon graduate in a few months and she would have less problem worrying about him. She has been planning her brother's future. As for her mother, she was sure the woman would be better once her debt her cleared and Hassan would give her a better life.

Zahra rubbed her face and smiled through the window.
"Ya Allah, you made me meet Miss Fadilat and Khaleef for a reason. Even if I have to endure six months with him, it will ensure that my family lives a peaceful life even when I am gone." She muttered. "I have to make sure that  this marriage happens." She held her phone as she recalled what happened before she left Kareem's home. Fadilat asked for her number and they would call her later. Will Miss Fadilat call her or will Khaleef do?

Zahra was still in her thoughts when she heard furious knocks on her door. She rolled her eyes and opened a door, revealing a young lady in a black long-sleeved gown and a pink veil wrapped around her head. The blue-eyed lady was fuming as she glared at Zahra.

"Fatmah Zahra Uthman! How dare you run away from us?!" She demanded with tears in her eyes.

Zahra smiled and held her ears. "Forgive me Firdaus, okay? My love?"

Firdaus gritted her teeth, trying to keep her anger.
"Come on love. I said sorry." Zahra pulled her in and hugged her. Firdaus finally broke into cries like a child, hugging her best friend tightly. "I hate you so much Ameerah. Don't do that again."

"Okay. Okay. I won't." Zahra smiled. What made her family more worried was that she left her phone behind. But what could she do when she was being chased?

"Stop crying like a baby." She said and pulled back. Firdaus glared at her and wiped her face.

"Who are you calling a baby? I'm older than you." Firdaus harrumphed and walked over to the bed.

"Just a month." Zahra shrugged and closed the door. Firdaus then added as her friend came closer, "Just a single you made us go on a search. If it wasn't that your mother refused, we would have reported it to the police."

You might have found me. Zahra thought inwardly. Firdaus became more hyped as she spoke, "You have no idea what that dirty uncle of yours said?"

"Uncle Ozden found out too?" Zahra asked surprisingly. Her father's uncle was still in town but the man refused to help their family, saying that since his brother was gone, he had no business with them. His daughter was still close with Zahra.

"Melis told him. We were searching for you and she got home late. That's how he found out." Firdaus answered.

Zahra nodded and inquired, "Have you told Melis then?"

"She's not picking up her phone. They went on a medical trip and will be back in a few days." Firdaus said. Melis was a medical student, in her fourth year already.

"Masha Allah." Zahra smiled. "And you rushed here from school right?"

"I came to check on your mother when they told me you were upstairs." Firdaus shrugged. "My exam is in two weeks."

"Read well then," Zahra said.

"I hate it since you aren't with me," Firdaus grumbled, folding her arms.

"That's just how it is." Zahra laughed. Zahra just finished high school when her father left. There was no way that she could go to college.

"Life is so unfair!" Firdaus cried out, falling on the bed. Zahra just smiled calmly. Was it? Allah plans the best for us.