26. While it lasts.

Meanwhile in the room,
Abdul sighed and turned to Zahra who was tightly closing her eyes.

"Khaleef just go for Allah's sake." She muttered and he moved back. Zahra slowly opened her eyes and Abdul was gone. She exhaled heavily and rubbed her temples.

"Such a stubborn man," she huffed and hid the ear plug. Why will a Muslim listen to music? That too in the bathroom?!

Zahra hummed remembering that he hadn't taken any clothes out for the salat. She opened the wardrobe and checked through his thobe. She smiled when she saw a sky-blue one. She took it out, with a cap and shoe before entering the bathroom. She dropped it on the dressing table and went out to carry her hijab.

She wore a matching hijab and took her phone to click some selfies. One last one. She thought when Abdul's head pooped up behind her with a grin and it clicked with him.

"You…" she wanted to complain but he turned her head. "One more." He laughed. She curled her lips and forced a smile as they took three more shots or five.

She kept her phone and turned around. Abdul was now dressed in his blue thobe unlike his regular suit and it looked good on him. The perfume emanating from his body was sweet and refreshing too. He wore his cap as he asked, "What's with the hijab? Where are you going to?"

"The masjid of course. You are taking us." Zahra replied.

"Seriously now?" He gasped, looking at her.

"We want to, so don't stop us." She said and pulled her mask up. Abdul squinted his eyes before turning around. Zahra hid her laughter and went after him. Fadilat was ready and grinned at the couple. Abdul had no choice but to drive them to the masjid.

After the Jumman prayer, he waited for them beside the car and the moment they arrived, he was met with his father's old friend walking over with his family.

"Abdulmumin. Assalamualaikum." The man smiled and shook his hand.

"Wa alaikumussalam, sir Jaafar. Nice to meet you again." Abdul smiled back.

"How are you doing and the company?" He asked.

"Alhamdulillah." Abdul returned.

"Assalamualaikum Fadilat." The man nodded at Fadilat briefly and turned to Abdul. "I can see your efforts these days Abdul and I am impressed. Your father will be very proud. Even with all that stress, you look good and fresh."

Abdul rubbed his beard and said, "It's all thanks to Allah….and my wife of course. Ameerah," he turned around and gave her his hand.

Zahra was suspicious of his claim but still took his hand.
"Sir Jaafar. Meet my wife, Zahra." Abdul smiled, introducing her.

"Assalamualaikum." Zahra greeted.

"Wa alaikumussalam. Young lady, keep up the good work. Allah will surely reward you abundantly." Jaafar prayed and they muttered, Ameen.

"Abdul. We'll meet soon on that deal. I'll have my secretary fix a date." Jaafar said and said another Salam before walking back to his family.

Abdul was all smiles and he looked at Zahra. "Jazakumullahu khair Ameerah." He said secretly but his gaze made her uncomfortable.

"Okay. You can keep staring at each other at home. Let's go now." Fadilat interrupted them before entering the car. Abdul chuckled before opening the door for his wife. They drove back home before Abdul went back to the office.

Zahra and Abdul are starting to under each other and trust is slowly building but every relationship will surely be tested. Trust can only be proved in times of doubt and difficulties. Everything was calm before the storm. Will they be able to fight it?

……

The bedroom window was wide opened and Zahra sat on it with uncertainty on her face. A book and pencil were in her hands but she didn't even open the book. Zahra bit off the pencil and glanced outside. She had been here after breakfast and the sun was almost in the middle.

Zahra sighed and picked up her phone on her lap and called her mother.
"Assalamualaikum Anne," She greeted.

"Wa alaikumussalam. Ameerah. How are you?" Hazaan answered excitedly. Being away from her daughter wasn't easy and she always looked forward to hearing her voice.

"Alhamdulillah Anne. What about you? You are taking care of yourself right?" Zahra inquired seriously.

"Of course dear," Hazaan laughed. "We have no burden or troubles anymore, so I am perfectly fine. Alhamdulillah. How's your mother-in-law and your husband?"

"All thanks to Allah." Zahra returned and fell silent. "Anne?"

Hazaan already felt something weird in Zahra's voice, so she asked softly, "What's wrong Ameerah?"

Zahra hesitated before asking, "Uhmm…Anne…can I…draw?"

Hazaan was quiet as Zahra's face twisted. "Just forget about it."

"No Ameerah," Hazaan stopped her. "If you want to, you can. No one is stopping you. Not even yourself. Okay?"

"Okay, Anne. Later." Zahra said excitedly and ended the call. She immediately opened the book and started sketching whilst constantly gazing outside.

In a short time, Zahra sat dare-dazzled by her drawing. It was a side view of the green field outside with the bench settled in it. The drawing looked life-like and beautiful. Zahra smiled widely, staring at it. It's been a while since she last drew something.

And for the final touch, Zahra drew a small crown by the side. Signed by the queen, she giggled.

"Assalamualaikum," the door opened and Abdul came in. Zahra was surprised that he came home at this time but still answered the Salam.

"Did you forget something?" She asked curiously.

"Nope," he shook his head and walked toward her before sitting at the other edge of the window. Zahra watched his skeptically as tapped his feet on the ground.

"Ameerah," he called out and they matched gazes. "Can I ask you something?"

The question was simple but it made Zahra's heart skip for a beat.
"What is it?" She asked placidly.

Abdul seriously inquired, "You told us that your father left your family with debts which you had to pay and for that, you started working right?"

"Yes," Zahra nodded, not knowing where the question was leading.

"How many?" He asked.

"Never counted. But I ended up with five stable jobs." She shrugged.

Abdul hummed and added, "Can you tell me where and where?"

Zahra hesitated before saying, "I worked part-time in a mart, two restaurants, a store, and a coffee shop."

"All in one day?" Abdul asked suspiciously.

"Yeah," she pursed her lips. "Why are you suddenly interested in my life?"

Abdul exhaled and took out his phone from his pocket. Zahra had her brows furrowed as he scrolled through something.

"Because of this." He said and handed the phone to her. Zahra took it and immediately fell silent.