(25) Still Stuck

Florence tapped her foot anxiously against the common room carpet, eyeing her two friends who looked sidetracked with their work. This was the first time they had gotten to sit down together for the past three days, as Nicolai was busy hanging out with George, and Alexander with Jillian. It had been all too unfair, as the only company she had was Fred's who—like her, was abandoned by their usual company.

It had given her the opportunity to get to know Fred Weasley a tad bit better, and not just some prankster ninny that she saw him as. She was a bit surprised to see his studious side, and that he was also exceptionally good at Charms and Potions. Florence knew she had been too quick in judging the Weasley twins—a mistake that she often made.

Hogsmeade weekend was coming up, and Nicolai and Alexander were talking about their plans with their respective pair as they did their homework at the common room that Saturday. Florence had never anticipated the day when they would be coupling off, leaving her all alone. Fortunely, the two had taken the hint to shut up about it, doing their work solemnly instead.

Nicolai didn't want to push her acting too much. She didn't want Florence to feel anything like she was pushing her away and replacing her with George. She was never on board with the plan at all, but George had been a little too persistent with getting his brother and Florence together.

Which they did look like a match made in heaven—probably everyone would notice it except for them. George thought if Florence could spend just enough time to see past Fred's prankster aura, she would learn to appreciate him. And it was working, very slowly.

"So, Florence...ah... Is it okay with you if I'll be going with George to Hogsmeade this time?" Nicolai asked as she closed her book shut. Florence held an annoyed look on her face, which she tried very hard to suppress. But having your friend ditch you for someone else wasn't at all too pleasant.

"Yeah, and I supposed Alexander will be going with Jill, too?" she asked snappily, Alexander afraid to respond, "Ah, Flo, that's—Jill and I have been planning..." Alexander started meekly, "...to go with each other to Hogsmeade..."

"Fine, whatever. Leave me to go alone then—"

Nicolai wanted to tell her the truth, but had to restrain herself, "You can go with Fred. He'll be alone too. I heard that Jordan's got a date with a Hufflepuff as well—"

"Why did both of you have to have found love lives at the same time?" she snapped, taking Alexander and Nicolai aback. "I know that we spent a lot of time together but it sucks getting left behind, you know? I'm happy for you two, I really am. But this week for you two has been nothing but Jillian and George...but you two haven't even made time for me!"

Alexander looked at her in apology, "Florence—"

"Why do I feel like you guys are pushing me away?" she said, her voice cracking. "I know I'm being melodramatic now, but I'm telling you two the truth. That's how I felt for the past three days" Florence folded her arms across her chest.

Nicolai hugged her, "Florence.... We're not pushing you away, we're very sorry if we made you feel like that. I'm sorry if I've been too occupied with George to even show up at our usually study sessions at the library after classes. You understand right? That this has been my first thing..." Nicolai shuddered mentally, "But I know it isn't an excuse to ditch you. I should always have time for you."

"I'm really sorry too, Flo. I got carried away with excitement about Jillian. I've been ogling over her since first year and I hadn't been aware that I'm making you feel like I don't have time for you anymore. We'll always have time for you..."