(58) Talk or Stay In There

"Look at them," said Nicolai the following day, her eyes in slits as she stared at both Florence and Fred at the distance.

They were currently in their potions class—one of the many other classes that Florence had to share with Fred. Professor Snape had paired them up for their said partners for the whole year, and luck was not in Florence's favor.

Nicolai was paired up with the snooty Slytherin Cassius Warrington, Alexander paired up with George Weasley, while Florence was stuck with Fred.

The shorter brunette had given up on the hope of working in sync with her partner, leaving him to finish up half the work and sauntering over to George and Alexander's desk while Professor Snape was still not in the room.

"Look at them," she repeated to both George and Alexander, who weren't looking the first time she'd said it. Alexander peered up from his cauldron, looking to the direction she was pointing at, and so did George.

"Yes, Florence and Fred. Florence ignoring his existence as usual. What's new, Nic?" Muttered Alexander in a monotone voice, George nodding in agreement, "Yeah. Call us when something interesting happens."

"I mean just look how miserably pathetic they are!" she said in a loud voice, Xander glaring at her to keep it down. "Sorry. But seriously look at them. Not talking to each other is making them miserable."

George snorted, "You know what makes it even funnier? That they're working on an Amortentia potion together. How ironic is that?"

"Shut up, Weasley," said Nicolai, "I'm thinking about something...."

"That's never a good sign," remarked Xander jokingly, "About what, though?"

"I'm going to do something about it. And I need your help, Xander. Also yours, George."

"Oh no," said Xander promptly after, "No no, Nicolai. I am no way, involving myself in any of this nonsense. Absolutely not." he said, both hands raised. His mistake. The stirring spoon he had let go of slowly sunk deeper into the cauldron of almost-Amortentia. "Oops," he said, George giving out a huff as he helped Xander fish it out.

"Come on, you two. You have to help me on this one. Aren't you tired of this unending tension between them. You know it's ridiculous—"

"Okay, fine!" said George, "We'll hear you out. Just leave us alone for now. We have a potion to finish, Clearwater."

"It will be just one second!" she begged, making Alexander huff, "Fine. Just say it quickly..."

She grinned leaning closer to whisper the plan into her friends' ear, George leaning in as well.

"Miss Clearwater." A low voice said, Nicolai swiveling around to see Professor Snape standing infront of her with a reproving look, "Please do move back to your assigned seat. Although you're welcome to stay if it is well out of your conscience that I deduct 10 house points from Ravenclaw."

That made Nicolai retreat back to her desk with Cassius Warrington, both George and Alexander both thankful that they could work out their potion in peace.

"I wonder how long it took Nicolai to plan that," Xander muttered, as soon as Professor Snape was out of their earshot, George shrugging, "Well, let's just hope that it actually works or I'm murdering her for making you drop our stirring spoon into the cauldron."

"Sorry."

Meanwhile, Florence was struggling to keep her interactions with Fred at a minimum, or no interactions at all. They had made a silent agreement to split the work, Fred opting to prepare the ingredients while she mixed them up in the cauldron.