Cling - Bucky Barnes x Reader

Words: 1034
Pairing: Bucky Barnes x Reader
Warnings: Mentions a panic attack (not detailed)
Requested by anon
Summary: One night you find Bucky in the kitchen freaking out. You decide to help him get through it.
Author's Note: More fluff! I think this lowkey counts as hurt/comfort? Idk you don't really see the hurt but it's mentioned. oh well!

*Edited*

---

You tried to go to sleep at a decent hour, but that never seemed to work. The internet was always such an easy distraction, and with all this Stark Tech around, the internet was easy to access and worked fast. It wasn't hard to get distracted scrolling through social media or watching videos all throughout the night.

But staying up so many extra hours meant that you had to use the bathroom more and get more food, as you last track of time easily.

You walked out of your room to use the bathroom at one am. You had some decency in you, so being quiet was a nice thing to do when you were up this late. You hoped not to wake anyone because if you woke anyone up, hell would rain down on you.

You jumped back when you heard a crash in the kitchen and squinted your eyes with your hands raised. You really were hoping no one would wake up, especially Tony or Pietro.

And to your luck, no one came out of their rooms trying to kill you. Then, you had to make a decision that was like trying to decide to go left or right when at a fork in the road. But, being part of the Avengers, your superhero side decided that you should figure out who or what was in the kitchen.

You grabbed the fork you had in your room and walked into the kitchen, really hoping it was just a pan falling over, but there was no way to tell. You turned the corner quickly, holding the fork in front of you and ready to stab.

But you just found the former Winter Soldier sitting on the floor with a broken plate next to him. You noticed he was breathing heavily and had dried tears on his face. You immediately set the fork down and ran over to sit next to him.

"Bucky?" You asked, just to see how he'd react. You had no idea why he was on the floor, with tear-stained cheeks, but you had your theory. You weren't going to jump to conclusions; you just wanted to make sure he was okay.

Sure, you and Bucky didn't talk much. You had only really talked with him on missions, rarely for the hell of it. That didn't stop you from trying to help, though.

He opened his mouth to speak, but no words came out.

"Bucky...I need you to talk to me." You said, quiet and careful. "What's wrong?"

He just shook his head, unable to talk, and tears were welling in his eyes again.

You grabbed onto his arm and started to help him work on making his breathing constant. You told him when to breathe in and breathe out. And after a few minutes, it actually helped, and he could talk again.

You hadn't realized that Bucky was clinging onto your arm, and before you helped him with breathing, he had a grip on your arm (that didn't hurt you) and just cried. His hand didn't leave once he could speak- he was clinging to you like that was the only way to keep him grounded.

"Do you want to talk, Bucky?" You asked.

He took a deep breath and nodded. "I just, it was really quiet, and my mind started to wander. All the things from...you know, just came flooding back. They wouldn't leave my head, and it freaked me out, all the horrible memories..."

"I'm sorry, Bucky, but you're all good now. You have me, right here, and all your friends just down the hall. We're all here for you." You tried to comfort him. Even though you rarely talked to him, you felt like you had a special connection to him, and it was easy to help him.

"T-thank you." He said, quiet enough that you almost didn't hear it. He realized how he was holding onto you, and let go, even though it didn't seem like he wanted to let go of you. You could see it in his eyes but didn't mention it.

You smiled at him and brushed down your shirt. "I should be getting to bed," You started. "I have a big day of training with Wanda tomorrow." You went to stand up, but with cat-like reflexes, Bucky grabbed your hand lightly and let out a whimper. You smiled at him softly.

"Come on, Buck, you should go to bed, too. Especially after a panic attack like that. Maybe getting some sleep would help," You said, but it resulted in just a shrug coming from Bucky.

You laughed slightly, "Alright, let's go." You grabbed his hand and walked backward, pulling him up. He was limp, not moving much; he was probably tired. He helped you none with the walking, you had your arm around him, and if you didn't, he'd be back on the floor. You sighed. "Do you want me to stay the night with you?"

Bucky lifted his head, a lazy smile on his face. "That sounds nice."

"Then, let's go before someone wakes up and kills us." You said, still trying to be quiet.

After basically carrying Bucky back to his room, you got into the bed next to him. It was weird since you guys rarely talked, but it was also nice. Enjoyable.

After five minutes of trying to sleep, Bucky mumbled something.

"What?" You whispered, a smile clear on your face.

"Can you come closer?" He sounded exhausted. "I can't sleep. Hey, can you sing?"

You blushed, but Bucky didn't have to know that. "I mean, a little...why?"

"Singing always helped me sleep, especially after freaking out." He sighed like it was an embarrassing thing to say.

You smiled. "I know a few things." You started and hummed the beat to a song you had in mind, and you assumed Bucky knew. (He did, he listens to the radio in the car.)

As you almost finished the song, you heard Bucky breathe, and his body felt heavy, like he was almost fully asleep. "I knew I made a good decision having a crush on you."

You smiled when those words came out of your mouth. "Me too."