Chapter 39: Chains

Adam parked his car in front of the mansion. Unable to wait to enter the home and see his beautiful wife waiting for him. Only, Eleanor wasn't even there.

He searched and called for her several times, but nobody answered but Mattea and all the information she had for him consisted of the fact that Eleanor went for a run and never came back and that there was a possibility she was lost.

Adam didn't know the half of it. He thought for a moment about whether to track her like he had before their wedding but thought against it. She deserved privacy and if she wanted to be away for a while that would be acceptable.

He paced back and forth in the living room before finally deciding he should stop worrying and went upstairs. She would come home soon, he had nothing to worry about. He quickly changed and for the first time in all his life, he slept feeling like he had lost a limb.

About halfway through the night, Adam awoke, rubbing his eyes. Eleanor was nowhere in sight and his heart beat was racing rapidly. He was worried about her.

He immediately ran jumped out of his bed and rushed down the stairs. Maybe she was downstairs safe and sound sleeping on the couch, he hoped.

"Eleanor!" He called again into the dark house. There was no reply.

He grew frantic, calling his father.

"Adam, why are you calling me at two in the morning!" His father shouted on the phone.

"Dad. Eleanor is missing." He replied, his voice shaking as he imaged all of the possibilities. She could have been kidnapped or worse, she could have run away because she didn't love him anymore. Adam was torn. He didn't know what to do, nonetheless was he even able to control the rampage of emotions inside him.

"No son, she is fine. She came by my office earlier today and said she wanted to have the divorce papers signed. " Mr. Carnegie replied, a wide smirk on his face as he lay in the bed alone. Mrs. Carnegie hated sleeping with him, she despised him actually. But she couldn't divorce a man like him. He was too powerful, she slept in a different room instead.

"Wha. . . What? Why?" Adam asked on the phone, a single tear escaping his eye in the dead of night, his hand shook. Nobody was around to hear his heart break, to hear his heart shatter, to see his eyes leak. He was alone. Absolutely alone with the belief that Eleanor didn't love him.

He hung up. It didn't make sense. She had told him she loved him. So why would she want to divorce him?

He knew he shouldn't have, but he decided to use the tracker that he had instilled in her engagement ring. He rushed upstairs and turned on the app on his iPad. It said she was only a block away from the house. Maybe she was walking home. Perhaps she had gone for a long jog to Carnegie Hall this morning and got lost on her way home.

He had to have hope somehow, but he couldn't wait for her to get home.

He missed her too much. He quickly put on a pair of shoes and rushed outside, following the path to the fence. He put his flashlight as bright as it would go.

He stood in front of the same fence Eleanor had been at moments earlier. On the floor lay the ring, but Eleanor was nowhere in sight. It was too dark to see anything else, but Adam's sharp eyes led him to the blood on the fence and the crazy footsteps in the dirt.

"What the hell happened?" He muttered to himself, looking at the footprints in the dirt between the fence. There was a piece of skin on the very top of the fence.

He immediately called the cops. They must have thought he was crazy. "My wife has been abducted."

¤¤¤

Eleanor woke up, her arms and legs tied to a chair in nothing but her bra and underwear. What the hell happened. All around her was silence and every minute or so a red light would beep.

"You're awake." A voice croaked from the corner. She turned her head. There was a man tied to a separate chair. He had on nothing but a pair of boxers.

Suddenly a loud screech came on and a voice was talking through a dark intercom.

Eleanor could see nothing, nobody but the darkness that surrounded her. It looked as though it might have been an abandoned parking lot that was secluded.

"Finally. Let the fun begin now then. In a couple seconds, the chains will be unlocked from your hands and feet. To stay alive, you can either slash each other's necks or Fuck. Make a smart choice. Either both of you are leaving alive or only one of you." A snarl came and disappeared. What the hell was going on.

Eleanor glanced at the guy, she couldn't even see his face.

"I. . . I am married." Eleanor said. "Who the hell are you?" She asked. "Why the hell would someone kidnap people for this?!" She demanded to know, feeling the need to puke. She couldn't recall anything after seeing Mr. Carnegie. Her mind was hazy regarding what she had gone to see him for though.

"I'm not killing." The man replied.

Suddenly bright lights flashed on and the chains came loose. The room was bright and empty, give for the two knives in a corner on the floor.

"Make your choice." The intercom came on again. Eleanor wanted to search for a door.

"Who are you?" The man asked before fully turning around and realizing it was Eleanor Carnegie.

And he was Vladimir Claiming, the world's new most eligible bachelor. How the hell did this happen, how did people capture them both and set up this sick joke?

"Fuck it." He muttered, knowing she had a husband, a friend of his actually, and approached her. He moved closer as she pushed him away.

"We need to work together." He whispered, "do whatever this creep wants and we can get out. This room doesn't have a door, I've been awake longer than you and I know for a fact. So just put on a damn show for this asshole and let's get the hell out.

Clearly, someone was watching us, there were probably cameras everywhere.

"Pretend you are enjoying it." The voice commanded and Eleanor grew stiff. The only guy that had crossed her mind of doing something like this with was her husband.

"I can't." She whispered. "Please don't kill me." She whispered, hysterical tears streaming down her face as she shook frantically. She was having a panic attack. Something that had not happened since she was in elementary school. She had learned to overcome everything. Now she was having a melt down in front of a stranger.

"Hey, it's okay, we can get through this." He sat beside her on the floor.

"I need Adam." She sobbed, hiccups now escaping all at once. Vladimir hugged her bare arms to his chest, placing a kiss on her forehead and comforting her.

It was strange to her. She was in another man's arms yet all she could think about was Adam.

The intercom came back on, "you're boring me. Have sex or kill each other. If nothing happens in the next two minutes,  a bomb will go off, there are four in this particular room. "

Fear struck her. Eleanor shook her head and new tears filled her eyes, " I don't want to die." She sobbed frantically, tears pooling on her chin and falling in little drops on her leg.

Vladimir turned her on her back, "Is this what you want?!" He shouted in the nothingness of the bright room.

Eleanor stared at him wide-eyed wishing she had a phone to call Adam with. But nothing. Vladimirs lips came crashing onto her own and she could do nothing about it as tears streamed out of her eyes.