Chapter 8

"I could sit and talk to you for hours
Sit and look at you for hours
Makin' love to you for hours
Layin' on your chest for hours
Tellin' you jokes for hours
Holdin' you close for hours
And hours and hours."
Muni Long "Hrs and Hrs"

Ashanti

I am exhausted. I can't wait to put my feet up. Work was hectic today and I didn't even get to take my break. Despite the fact that I have a banging headache, I wouldn't trade my career for anything. I mean, you have to make money if you want to sustain your way of living; whether it's living in a small apartment and having a regular car or living in the hills in a big mansion and having the latest sports car.

I don't think I would be able to work two jobs and I pray I never get into a financial difficulty that will require me to do so.

I didn't have a chance to talk to August either. When he called me around noon, I couldn't answer the phone because I was in a patient's room and I got swamped after that. I called him after I got off from work at 7, but he was probably busy since he didn't pick up. I can't deny that I missed him all day.

"Reese, did you miss me today? Don't worry. I'm going to buy you some new toys and take you to a dog park this week." I petted his head as he laid across my lap. I came home and immediately got out of my scrubs. I took a shower and then made a bowl of popcorn for myself. I didn't feel sleepy, so I'm now in the living room in front of the tv. There's nothing really on, but I finally settled on a movie on the FX Movie Channel.

 There's nothing really on, but I finally settled on a movie on the FX Movie Channel

I have a confession to make; I have a sweet tooth. I love adding caramel syrup to my coffee and popcorn, and eating ice cream, chocolate bars, cheesecake, cookies, brownies, and Reese's Butter Cups. I'm not a doughnut person though.

I decided to check what was trending on Twitter, while I waited for the 10 minutes to pass for the movie to start. I heard a knock at the door and I scrunched up my face.

Uh uh, who's crazy enough to come here this late? I don't entertain guests at this time when my legs are ashy, my face bares no makeup, and my head is covered by a bonnet. Teyana went to support Iman at his game against the Raptors. She invited me, but I'm more of a football fan. Even if it was her, she has a key; unless she lost it but I doubt that would happen because she's so organized. I gave Reese a treat before getting up to check who was at the door.

I looked through the peephole, but I could only see the side of the person's head. He was wearing a baseball cap and had a bag in his hand. Maybe it's a special delivery being made to me from August. That man is full of surprises. I opened the door and I couldn't believe who I saw.

"Surprise!" August was standing there with a bag of Poyeyes and a bottle of Hennessey. I jumped into his arms, nearly knocking him down. I'm sorry, but I couldn't hold my excitement.